Starting problem (clicking only) - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 02, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I have a 68 camaro that I can fix most everything that breaks.

I also have a 96 Camaro that I never can figure out it's problems. My qusetion is about my 96 Camaro if you don't mind.

The 96 is a 3.8L. When I turn the ignition all I get is a click. I took apart all the contacts and cleaned them The car did start a few time after that but is back to clicking only.

Is this a starter problem? Maybe something else on a modern car I should be looking for.

If it is a starter problem, my shop manual tell me I have to drop both sides of the exhaust to remove the starter. Does'nt look like fun. If this is tyhe case, it may be better to let someone else tackle this.

If you have any ideas or suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks Again,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 02, 11:26 AM
Tech Team

May be as simple as a dead battery. Get the battery checked before you go tearing at the starter. It sounds like it doesn't have enough juice to turn over.

------------------
67 Coupe 327
Edelbrock performer package, TH350, Hotchkis suspension & sway bar, Dynomax headers and exhaust, Cowl hood
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 02, 03:48 PM
Tech Team

In the old days on older cars(pre 80s) your symptoms would suggest either low voltage(battery low), poor connections at battery or starter, or bad solenoid. On the newer cars my experience is battery (low or bad) & whole starter. I never try to replace just the solenoid anymore, I just throw money at it & replace starter-solenoid assembly.
good luck

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 02, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Or a weak battery cable.

Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 02, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech

I know this sounds like real shade tree mechanics crap,but have a friend try and start the car and at the same time RAP the botom of the starter with a hammer. Something to try if your battery checks out ok,if it starts the problem is the sarter. Bodymen can be so crude.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 02, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech
robert

i few weeks back i had the same problem,in my situation i noticed the big cable at the back of the dynamo that made contact with the engine, so there was a short-circuit!

check that first, it made a clicking sound just like your car!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 02, 04:40 PM

What happened to my 68 when it did that was in the winter when it was stored up here in Minnesota it got so cold that the lead plated in the battery actually just broke. I would charge it overnight and it would just click. Did some checking and just replaced the battery. So...word of wisdom..when you store your car for the winter...take out the battery too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 02, 02:56 PM
Tech Team

....unless you live in southern california

I would HATE to have to deal with storing my car for the winter. 24/7/365 & 1/4 here.......(can't forget that leap year you know. I didn't spend all that money on this brain for nothing you know!)

------------------
67 Coupe 327
Edelbrock performer package, TH350, Hotchkis suspension & sway bar, Dynomax headers and exhaust, Cowl hood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode