------[ PLEASE READ]------ plug fouling! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Plugs keep fouling about every 3-4 weeks...this is driving me CRAZY! I cannot find the problem...car also has been starting to smoke black somewhat and very very distinct smell of gasoline in exaust

what is fouling my plugs...i've already disabled the elec. choke..air/fuel mix. maybe the problem but i have no tools at all to set this and no body i know seems to have a good suggestion on how to set them.. (i.e. how many turns out) it is a holley 600vac. secondary, standard holley really

thanks

------------------
'69 SS 355/350 red w/ white Z28 striping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 06:57 PM
David Pozzi

Make shure the floats are set right.
At idle do you see any fuel dripping out of the venturi nozzles? They should be dry.

Usually it's one and one half turns out to start with on the idle mixture screws. Some are backwards metering type on the spread bore Holley carbs. The more you turn the screw in the richer it gets.

Most Holley carbs are the opposite, screw in, gets leaner. You want them in as much as you can without the engine slowing down at idle.

If floats and timing are right, check for a bad power valve. If you have had backfiring it may damage the power valve diaphram and cause it to run rich. It still would not run rich at idle. It would run rich at part throttle when just cruzing along. Fuel mileage would go south too.

The metering block gaskets can leak, or power valve can be loose and leak into the power valve vaccum area.

If you have the timing or advance wrong, it will carbon up the plugs too.

If you aren't good at fooling with Carbs, take it to a good performance shop.

Good luck, David

------------------
Check my web page for suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 07:56 PM

do you have stock points? stock coil?
whats your timing set at? are you burning oil or just running real rich? what kind of mileage you getting with this situation?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Arrow

It has Mallorey distributor, with an ACCel coil..

have to check timing to see what it is set at..but don't have a timing gun around the house..could take few days to get hold of one
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 02:31 PM

Are your plugs fouling because their wet?Sounds like the same thing I'm going through.I was told fuel pump prob, gas getting in crankcase and thinning out the oil and fouling out the plugs. Can't say if this is a fix because now I'm not gettin any spark, so I haven't got it started yet. Let me know how you come out, it could help me. I've changed almost everything(new carb.coil,ect.)

------------------
Michael Roen 70 z/28.2000 v8 Grand Cherokee
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech

Leeter, what size cam are you running? The bigger the camshaft the more your plugs will "foul" under normal driving conditions. If you run (race) the engine out through all gears, does it clean up the plugs up?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Arrow

It is just a 218/223 @ .050 hyrdraulic
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 00, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech

That cam shouldn't foul plugs. Your carb is the most likely problem. If you find out that the carb is not the problem, you might try looking to see if your valve seals are bad. If they check out try running a compression check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode