Chrome Dual fuel feed leaking!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I just started my engine and out of all things to leak the fuel feed leaks at the connections to the carb fuel bowls. I've removed and replaced the teflon tape and ensure that it screwed in properly. BUT, still leaking a little at this point. Any suggestions? Should I use something other than teflon tape of the threads?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

If it is leaking around the threads, I would just put an extra wrap or two of teflon tape on the threads and make that I had the fittings properly torqued. If it is leaking around the tubing where it goes thru the fitting. This means that the flare on the tubing is not seating properly inside the carburator fuel bowl.
The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 05:07 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Mike,
It is called an inverted flare fitting and doesn't use Teflon tape. Telfon tape is for pipe fittings which are tapered and count on the threads for sealing. The inverted flare fitting is metal to metal male and female flares that seat by the threaded nut holding them in compression. The threads are not meant to do any sealing, just hold the flares tightly together. If you need sealant of any kind there's a problem with your flare fitting. You have damaged flares or they are not adaquately torqued or misaligned. Look closely at the flares to see if they are scratched or cracked a nd check the alignment. The Holley chrome dual inlets are terrible for quality and alignment, it's pretty common to have problems or see where guys have used Teflon tape to try to make them seal, you're not alone on this problem. You're farther ahead to buy the inverted flare tee blocks and make your own double flared lines. Or buy the factory setup for the Holley using the brass t-block and lines. Hope this helps.
Dave

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Check your flare on the tubing the last one I bought wasn't flared properly. Summit sent out a knew one the next day
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 09:04 PM
Senior Tech

this is pretty common if you get one of the cheaper fuel lines. pony up a few more bucks for a better quality setup, and you will have zero problems. i talk from experience here- seems every dual feed holley i have ever gotten had a cheap line on it, and they always leak.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 01:55 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The one I used was made by Holley and still produced wrong.Things happen!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. C:
The one I used was made by Holley and still produced wrong.Things happen!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are there other alternatives for this. The last thing I want is gas leaking when I'm on the highway. I've seen those blue fittings and braided hose setup. Anyone have any experience with this setup?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The new one they sent was Ok.Make sure to give them your carb model # to get the right one.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Aeroquip. They are a bit pricy but they are really nice. You will need AN fittings to connect to the fuel line.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 02, 08:23 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Also remember AN fittings are 37 degree flares, not 45 degrees that Automotive SAE flares are.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 02, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The nice thing about Aeroquip is that the connections to the carb use the standard Holley steel inverted flare SAE connection. Only the fuel line connection needs to be AN.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 03-07-2002).]
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 02, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

You guys can always buy a brass or steel 37 degree fittings from Parker, Weatherhead, etc. Only cost about a dollar or so.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 02, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silver69Camaro:
You guys can always buy a brass or steel 37 degree fittings from Parker, Weatherhead, etc. Only cost about a dollar or so.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All these are excellent ideas and I thank all of you for that.

It seems I resolved the problem. I removed the chrome fuel line, and cleaned (with varsol) the fuel inlet fitting and its gasket. I made some minor adjustments to the chrome item and put it all back together. No more leak! (At idle anyways) I checked and rechecked and it is a good seal. I suspect there was a little dirt or buildup in the inlet and thread and may have been creating a small enough gap to allow fuel to escape

Fuel pressure gauge read 7lbs steady at idle.

Thanks again all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode