Need a Little Help, Guys - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Went out in the garage to start my car and noticed the engine was very slow to turn over. Finally started and voltmeter showed around 11 volts. Checked battery with voltmeter (while engine was running) and it showed 11.75 volts. Turned the engine off and it would not start again. Put it up on jack stands, crawled under and noticed a wax (looked almost like candle wax) running out of the starter. This is a new starter with less than 200 miles. It also has a heat shield over the solnoid. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Gary<BR>1967 Camaro SS/RS 396-375 4sp.<P> <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/amike95" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/user/amike95</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech

The battery voltage might be normal if the car sits unused. The waxy stuff is strange to me. The running voltages are wrong though. I prefer checking voltage by poking the battery terminals not the clamps on them. That way I know whats getting there. 11.75 is wrong in any case. There is some times paper insultion on winding that is coated with a waxy solution to help the paper not dry out and fall apart. You aren't operating in extreme voltages so dropping the voltage causing increased amperage to carry out the cranking isn't likely the culprit getting the insides of the stater to over heat. There is a standard that needs to be followed for starters and I think it's some place from 4 or 5 and up to 8 seconds of operation for the standard models. Anything more is too much for the wires supplying cranking power. Which also by the way get hot when over cranking. Anyway i think you have a generator or alternator problem. Might just be the connection of the plug at the back of the alternator. Like the plug is in there but not plugged all the way in. Hehehe don't ask me how I know. OK
If you want to remain stock there are cheap kits for rebuilding alternator. Brushs, diode sacks, connectors and all.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech

Your low measured voltage while the engine is running usually means that your alternater has become a history lesson.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 03, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I put a "like New" battery in it today and it fired right up,however the votage is still 11.75 while running. The battery I took out was 525cca and the one I replaced it with is 900cca. It also has a new AC Delco Alternator. I'll check the connection to the alternator. Thanks, Guys.

Gary<BR>1967 Camaro SS/RS 396-375 4sp.<P> <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/amike95" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/user/amike95</A>
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 03, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

It also may be the voltage regulator located near the radiator. This is if your running with an external regulator. Internals were built inside the alternater and wasnt inroduced unitl 69 - 70 - I think? What usually happens to the external type (volt. Reg.) is the small coil type object, on the back side, breaks. Check that out. Sorry about the name of the parts guys, I can also play a guitar but cant read music!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 03, 07:27 PM

I would recomend unpluging the regulator and placing a jumper wire at the batt. term. to the feild term. start engine and check for higher batt. voltage. This is bypassing the regulator, hope this helps, Larry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 03, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Larry,
I'm not an expect with these troubleshooting procedures, so which one would be the field terminal on the voltage regulator?

Thanks, Gary
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 03, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Just as a note, this is what I've done so far. Checked voltage at the battery, alternator and voltage regulator (while engine is running) and all reading were 11.75 volts. Also removed each fuse (one at a time) volts still 11.75.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 03, 06:38 PM

the plastic retainer on the regulator will have a f molded in it just above the terminals. Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode