Filled the gas tank & car died - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

tonight i filled up with a tank of gas and took off down the road. My 67 started to stumble and blow white smoke. I pulled of the road and it intake back fired to a stop. Now it won't start and is blowing white smoke. Is this bad gas, or crap in my carb. Any on else experience this?

1967 rs
edlebrock carb

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/goatjjcamarors/</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech

The smoke is concerning. The fuel doesn't smell like diesel does it? Bad gas will cause a car to die and not start again but I've never seen the problem accompanied by smoke. Also, a timing chain slipping a tooth can exhibit similar problems less the smoke. The car will sputter and die and not start again. When cranked it will back fire through the carb. I'd bring the matter up with the gas station for starters.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I was thinking the same thing Diesel (lets hope not). I am sure if the station had gas that was that bad you would have been parked right next to a bunch of other broken down cars. Don't think it can't be diesel, tanker truck could have mixed up the load and put diesel in the unleaded tank. This would explain why you have smoke. Other wise you are burning oil from somewhere.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Exclamation

I thought i put reg 87. I can't remember..... What if it was diesel?
What would it smell like?

<a href="
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 03:46 AM
Senior Tech

Diesel has a distinct smell both burned and unburned. Kerosine is about the closest thing to it. I guess you'd have to whiff some of th vapours to know. But it will be a bit more difficult to tell since the diesel is mixted with gasoline which has a strong oder that would make it a bit harder to detect the diesel.

The good news is that it won't harm your engine, but you would have to drain it all out and fill it with fresh fuel. Draining also would mean purging the line by disconnecting the fuel line near the carb and pumping fuel into a container of some sort. You also would have to remove some fuel from the float bowls. A little diesel in the gas won't hurt though, so you don't have to get every drop out of the system.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Red face

I am so mad at myself. I wasn't paying attention and filled up with a tank full of diesel. I'm so STUPID.

At least it wasn't a head gasket like I thought [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

<a href="
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

At least you did ruin anything. A little labor and you will be back on the road. Consider it a leson learned. Don't be so hard on yourself, I am willing to bet you will never do that again.

When I was fresh out of high school working at a gas station a customer came in and said "my car was low on water and I filled it up, now it won't run right" he filled it up at the station. Well after I checked the water/coolant it was fine. When I checked the oil guess what I found? Yep, he filled the crankcase with water all the way up to the fill cap. I will never forget that, my jaw dropped to the ground.

These things happen, just learn from it.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

In Az, they have green pump handles for the diesel fuel. My neighbor's daughter filled up a chevy truck with diesel. Her excuse was that she usually drives his diesel ford. I thought that the pump nozzles were different so this can't happen ?

So can you retrofit glow plugs and a huffer into your small block and burn the stuff off ? LOL

67 RS
Royal Plum/Parchment
6.0 LSX 4L80e

06 corvette Z06
machine silver
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 07:19 AM

My dad did the same thing in his motorhome just recently. Put 60 gallons of diesel in a gasoline powered F--d. He made it about a block from the station and it did the same thing yours did.

His only problems were it was on a Sunday, he doesn't know beans about cars or engines, called a tow truck to come get it and take it to a repair service, had to wait until Monday to get the tank drained.

He learned his lesson real quick. (He is 76 years old).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

All the gas stations around here use green nozels for diesel except BP and they use green for gas and black for diesel. Got to watch what your grabbing.

Dave
69 Big Block / Hugger Orange Sold
65 Chevelle SS
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech

Here in CA the Diesel nozzle is LARGER and it won't fit into the hole on an Unleaded Car. Not sure about a 67-69 camaro though, I believe a Diesel nozzle WOULD fit in this case!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Some commercial (truck stop) diesel pumps have oversized nozzles to aid in filling large tanks more rapidly. Most standard filling stations have normal sized diesel nozzles which will fit any car or truck. Usually they are coded green but some are black. I've even seen yellow pump handles for diesel. You really have to look carefully before you pump! Putting gasoline in a diesel vehicle can be catastrophic unless you are very lucky.

My daily driver VW is diesel powered and I get lots of strange looks from people who see me putting diesel into a car. Sometimes they ask me "do you know that's diesel?" I just smile and say yes! (though I am tempted to act shocked and dismayed)

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

True here in CA the nozzles are a different size and diesel is usually a green handle. The problem is if you have an older car that was built before the unleaded gas came out, any nozzle will fit. This would include all cars built in the early 70's and before. Newer cars won't accept a diesel nozzle or a regular (leaded nozzle), not that you see those around anymore. I guess working at that gas station was good for something.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 03, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech

umm.. up on the pump, it says what kind of fuel you are getting. common sense dictates that you don't grab a nozzle under a sign that says "Diesel" and expect 87 octane gasoline. also, i've noticed that the diesel pumps tend to be kind of segregated from the rest of them, and the hose is usually a LOT longer. plus, as i already said, it says "DIESEL" on the pump. and the handle tends to be a little more "slimy" from the DIESEL fuel that gets pumped out of it, and has that "DIESEL" smell that just won't go away, no matter how many times you wash your hands or what you wash them with..
not trying to be mean or anything, but, man, if you can't read the gas pumps, should you really be allowed on the road? same with the person that filled their engine with water. that's just stupid, no matter how you look at it.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 03, 04:29 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

All I can say is some people arent perfect and do make mistakes. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Dave
69 Big Block / Hugger Orange Sold
65 Chevelle SS
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode