heater not consistant - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have been noticing lately(colder weather) that my 67 with new Vintage air is blowing luke warm air after cruising down the road. The car is running fine with the temp staying in the 190 mark without fluctuation. The heater blows hot for a while after the engine has warmed up. When I drive down the road, it looses it's heat and blows luke warm at best. I noticed that after I got home and let the car idle, the air warmed some but not all the way back. Coolant level is good. I don't adjust anything prior to loosing heat. Any ideas? It's about 35 degrees here. The radiator is 4 core--it wouldn't be cooling too much causing the thermostat to close to retain proper heat would it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like your heater core could be clogged up......I would suggest a good flush job, then fill her back up and see how it heats. If your temp gauges is accurate, and reading 190, it's not your radiator "cooling" too much. Anyway, that would be the first thing I would try.....If it is your heater core, good luck replacing it. I've heard some horror stories about replacing them in 67's, including having to take the fender off........KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd

[This message has been edited by kz1000ltd (edited 12-28-2000).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech

does your car have the vintage air heat or the stock heater? I think the vintage air heat uses vaccum to open and close the control valve for the heat. Might want to check that or call them at the tech line.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It is a Vintage Air unit. I'll check the vacuum connections in the morning. If that's not it, I'll call Vintage. KZ--I had to take the fender off to put the unit in this summer. Yes it was a pain.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, I figured out the problem with the heat. Don't know what I was thinking about the thermostat. The lines don't even run out of it. The problem was the way I was trying to operate the controls. I left the slider on dash vent for air flow. Vintage Air sets their system up where you can't get heat unless the lower heat duct is selected. I was setting the mix for dash and floor which allowed some heat to come at first, but once the air had been flowing a little while, the cool air would take over the little hot coming through. Once I slid the control to full floor, the heat came on great. I guess I've become too used to modern AC settings that let you put hot air through all vents. At least I can Chalk it up to dumba$$ and not something malfunctioning. BTW, the heat is very good along with the cool in these units. I highly recomend them. FYI--I decided to use non AC front springs during the rebuild of my front end and they worked great. The Vintage Air compressor probably doesn't weigh much more than the alternator so you don't need extra spring on one side.

Lance
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 05:18 PM
Team Member
John

Vintage Air systems are great - I used their "Supercooler" system when I built my tube-frame Grand Sport; the heater was terrific, and when the A/C was on, you could hang meat in the car. That little Sanden compressor is about 1/4 the size and weight of the GM Harrison compressor.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 05:30 PM

I spent $1200 on a vintage air and it won't cool and wont heat. Heater vacum is connected to carb, could this be the heater problem?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 00, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ClintB, I would suspect it could be a problem at least for the heater. I don't know enough about the mechanism to say anything about the AC part. My vacuum is hooked to the intake vacuum port which is behind the carb on my performer intake. If the port on your carb is not providing vacuum at idle, I would find a constant vacuum source(per Vintage Air). You're the first person out of approx 20 people I've talked to who has a problem--if you did the install, you might want to get an authorized dealer to look at it. I did about 3/4 of the work and let the dealer finish the rest. They hook up the important stuff and make sure it's right, so I can still get free help if a problem pops up because they put their seal of approval on it.

Good luck
Lance

[This message has been edited by backfire (edited 12-29-2000).]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 00, 02:25 PM
Team Member
John

Vintage Air systems are controlled by a series of electric solenoids operating vacuum valves; go over the instructions again (carefully) and make sure you've followed them to the letter relative to wiring the solenoids and connecting all the vacuum lines. Should work fine (your vacuum source must be full-time - if it's connected to "ported" vacuum, it won't work at idle).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode