Got zapped by my new spark plug wires - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey guys,
My MSD wires are about 5 months old, I was adjusting my timing and when I grabbed the top of the distributor to move it BAM I got zapped. So I checked the wires and the boots, no cracks, cuts, tears, nothing.
I made sur the boots fit in the cap...I was adjusting it and I got zapped again.
Could these wires be defected.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Don

A lot of voltage leaks from the plug wire boots. Dielectric grease helps some,so does that heat shrink tubing that covers the boot/wire. Check it out at night for a light show...

Try not touching the fender or any other metal, of course that completes the ground.

Are you using the MSD box as well?

I know how that can bite!

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech

Electricity is lazy. It takes the path of least resistance. If the resistance between the car, your arm and the boot is less than the resistance of the plug wire, the plug resistor and the plug gap it's gonna go through you. Work up a good sweat and it only gets worse.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech

This story reminds me of the time I used to work for a rental car agency. One of the customers returned a car because the car would not turn off when the ignition switch was turned off. You could remove the key and the car, a F*&D Lincoln Town Car no less, would just sit there and idle away. This went on for 30 minutes while the master mechanic tried to figure out how to shut it off. He disconnected the battery thinking that would work-NOT! Finally he gave up and said he was going to call the dealership to see what they recommeneded. My quick thinking was to grab a towel and rip the coil wire off thereby stalling the car. Let me tell you, even with that darn towel that was about the most electricity I have ever had pass through my body! Needless to say the car stalled. And to think, all I really had to do was remove the fuses one by one until it stalled. What can I say, I was 16 at the time and not nearly as smart as I am now..

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci., T-56, 12 bolt, Eaton posi, 3.73 gears, 4 wheel disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, console w/AutoMeter gauge package, center mntd. clock, Tach.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thank God I dont have the 6AL box....If I did I dont think I'd be typing this right now
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Yeah, I got zapped so bad from an MSD6AL, it took about 1/2 hour to get over it.

Pain...

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I took the wires back to the Hot Rod shop and good thing, they exchanged them.
I'll put them in tonight and see if I get whacked again....
One other thing, the 6AL box goes for about $195 here, Guys know where I can find one for a good price?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 10:37 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Rubber gloves are wonderful things!!

I always grab the sides of the dist or the vacuum casister. Grabbing the top is asking for it even with good wires and boots.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech

Me too!!

About 25 years ago I owned a Datsun 260Z. (Fun little rust bucket) I had just finished replacing all the ignition wires. It was a nice hot day, no shirt or shoes and plenty of sweat. I fired the car up and with it idling I decided to check that all the wires were pushed on tight. NO ROCKET SCIENTIST HERE!! I grabbed hold of the coil wire to give it a check--ZZZAAAPPP!!! I have never been hit harder. I could feel the current move up my arm across my chest and down my body to my legs and feet. I don't remember how I got loose. All I know is that I felt really-really bad for the next three days. I think if that would happen to me now at the age of 48 instead of age 24 it would probably kill me.

STUPIDITY AND ELECTRICITY DO NOT MIX!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech

reminds me of the time my brother was about 4 an i told him if he peed on the lawnmower sparkplug while it was running it would really rev up. he flew about 5 feet aint never been right since!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

A dead stock HEI coil, is worth 50,000 volts. No matter what kind of module or box attatched to the coil, it is still only the coil, that fires the voltage to the plugs.
A good ignition system will only need 10,000 volts, with a nicely tuned engine!

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Don

True, it's still only the coil secondary voltage, but it hits multiple times.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode