cant pull trouble codes!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Angry

my 1994 3.4L V6 runs for a few minutes then dies.....and then starts later...
I have tried to pull the codes from the computer but no success...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech

Hi Stang Hater,

What are you using to pull codes? If you have a scanner and your ECM will not link to it it's likely the ECM is done.

The next thing to determine is whether it is fuel, or fire that stalls the engine. When it quits pull the coil/plug wire and check for fire. If you don't have the tool to check this, stick a screw driver in the coil/plug wire and hold the metal part about 1/2 inch away from something metal on the engine. Have someone crank it over.

If you get spark then check the fuel pressure. there is a schrader valve like on an AC line, on your fuel rail, I think your car will have pressure in the 40's but check the book.

Your cat converter could also be suspect.

This could get long, if there is no fire check the coil then the module, if it's the fuel pressure, check; 12v out of fuel pump relay (it cycles off after a few seconds, turn key off, and back on to recycle pump). If 12v is there listen at tank for fuel pump buzz, if it buzzes check fuel filter.

If all this fails pour gas on sparingly, strike match, and call insurance co. Not really, post more info.

Larry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

it doesnt get fire!....i replaced the module and the 3 coils....just to find out that the old ones were good (lesson learned: always have the old parts checked no matter what someone says)....i tried pulling the codes with a scan tool...the little one that bridges the a and b on the aldl...nothing happens...i changed the fuel filter..it was nasty but when i let the car run..it did the same thing...it quit in about 10 minutes...i am starting to think my ecm/pcm is bad...but why would my engine run so good for 10 minutes?????....thanks for the reply!! im going to double check some of the things you mentioned

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 07:43 AM
Tech Team

Probably would be a good idea to have someone with a scantool to take a look. See if you are getting Crankshaft Position Sensor references pulses. If not your Crannk position sensor may be bad. Just a thought, hope it helps.

------------------
Mark Perkins
ASE Master Auto/Truck
67 RS Convertible
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Stanger,

I think Mark has the solution, the crank position sensor.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode