probably worse than I thought - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Unhappy

This is kind of a update to my post in bench racing. Scott, there's nothing visually wrong underneath. I jacked up car, fired it, put it in first, let go of clutch slowly and there was no noise. Take it to about 1800-2000 RPM and let the clutch pop and there it is. BANG. or CLUNK, lacking a better word to describe it. Checked axle movement, there doesn't seem to be anything abnormal pushing it in & out. There is about 1/4" of play. I'm assuming thats normal. This may not be the right way to check the axles in a 9" though. I'm thinking it's trans or rear gears but can't tell sitting in car. Tomorrow I'll get someone to try and pin the source of the noise while I'm in the car. Oh yea, I did check the trans mount first, it's O.K. And yes, I'm still getting the look along with that head shake from the wife. We have 4 days before the Klamath Falls Oregan cruise.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 00, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech

Steve -

Sorry to hear that you're having problems finding the source of the noise. I don't have any other bright ideas beyond rechecking the usual suspects - like the perches and u-joints. Sometimes problems seem to "hide" - my perches bent just a little and I didn't catch it - I've also had u-joints start to fail but not show any slop even when they were making noise. I assume you had the car up on jackstands and in neutral when you checked the driveshaft so you could rotate it? Of course, u-joints should make more noise when you switch from forward to reverse?

Re: the wife - you're on your own. Mine gives me a little picture of her giving me the "evil eye" so I know I'm not getting away with anything when she's not around!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 00, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Smile

Well I think I found it. The eye of the spring, drivers side rear, is wrapped up (bent under) so far that when the spring wants to wrap, the top of the eye hits the frame rail. Thats the clunk, only when I hit it hard. It took two of us to figure it out. The car is listing to that side about 1/2" also. Scott, you were right about those problems hiding, especially with spring and the perchs. It's hard to explain how the spring eye did what it did. Bending upwards just before the curl of the eye best describes it. The spring had to be extremely weak to began with I think. I don't think I'm belting out spring twisting torque in this car. Good news is we'll make klamath, if I can keep my foot out of it we'll be O.K. I've got a set of mono's laying around in that 68 but I should just probably go with new multi's.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
http://www.geocities.com/stevocamaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode