clicking sound - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Question

O.K. , I have had this problem for several months now and it finally got to the point to where i could not start the car. When I would turn the key, I would get a click in the motor and then nothing. I would release the key and try it again. It then started and I had no problem turning it over. I finally lived with the problem until it cost me a $138.00 tow bill. I thought it was the ignition switch, so I changed that out. The cliking sound remains, but i was able to turn it over after the same steps as above. So I am back to square one with having an inconsistant start and I crossing my fingers everytime I go to start. I do not think it is a ground problem, but I may have overlooked something. I have never changed the starter and/or solenoid or alternator. Could this be my problem? I little frustrating and embarrasing,(after all it is a Chevy) not to mention getting $$$$$. I hope I gave you experts enough 411. Battery is new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech

take the starter off and have it bench tested. sound's like a worn out starter to me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 09:42 AM

Lightbulb

You might want to check out the battery cable connection. I had a grand Am that did that and all that it was was the positive cable was loose. It still had enough of a connection to power everything and sometimes start it. So before you take off the starter you may want to check that out. Just a thought.

------------------
1985 Camaro, 331 320hp
1991 Camaro Z28 230hp

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 01, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Clean the cables.Any electric problems,start at the source.Cables that look clean,sometimes are not clean enough to get the job done.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 10:20 AM
Tech Team

Cool

sounds like a started to me,my car was doing the same thing, had my started rebuild for $45 and has not done is again
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Get a meter and verify that you are getting 12 volts at the starter. Also, some guys will use a "Ford" type solenoid for problems such as heat from headers. If you find that you are getting less than 12 volts, the Ford solenoid trick will insure that you get 12 volts to the starter. That is because this setup uses the ignition switch circuit to trip a relay that then routes 12 volts directly from battery to starter. Even though you may not have headers, the idea here is how to overcome the low voltage to your starter. This suggestion assume that you do have a good starter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode