Jumping out of gear (4th) - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Finally, I get to drive my 69 RS Convertable.
Anyway, when I am in 4th gear accelerating and then let off the gas, it pops out of gear. I hope I don't need to pull the tranny to fix this as I am finally getting to completion after many years.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Detail: 69 RS 350. Muncie 4 speed with Hurst shifter. All new motor/tranny mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech

Usually caused by a worn pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft. Lets the input shaft of the transmission wobble a little bit and the syncro sleeve and shaft teeth get worn. If the pilot bearing is new and tight, you may need some transmission work, although might first check to see that the shifter is putting it all the way in gear. Sometimes you can remove a shim gasket in the rear of the case and tighten up the clearance at the input shaft and help this too. Parts are expensive, hope it is a simple fix.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Does your rubber console boot put tension against the Hurst shaft when it is in fourth?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 05:46 AM

This is caused by either the shifter not going all the way into gear, as stated above, or the pilot bushing, but more than not, the end play in the mainshaft/input shaft is too large, allowing the synchro ring and slider to not engage the input shaft deep enough to hold the gear in. This will usually show up in decelration, not cruise or acceleration.

The fix is to pull the gearbox and check the front to rear play on the input shaft, with the outlut shaft pulled back all the way in the case/extension. The input shaft can be shimmed between the front bearing and the thrust face of the input shaft, but the damage to the synchro blocker and input shaft may be too far gone to completely fix it from the outside.

Please note, it could also be a detent problem on the side cover or a bent or worn out shifter fork/synchro slider groove not engaging high gear deep enough as well.

Stop screw on shifter could be too far in, set for a more shallow second gear stop. Worth checking as well. Set screw for deepest gear engagement between sets 2/4 and 1/3.

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 08-29-2000).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

I am pretty sure that I replaced the Pilot Bearing when I put the new motor (crate Targetmaster 350) in about 8 years ago. I have not driven it til now since my restoration project got interrupted for personal reasons until this summer.

I think there might be a little interferance in the shifter linkage against the center hump. It sounds like it is hitting a little when I shift. Maybe it is keeping it from locking into gear (although I think I hear that when shifting into 3rd).

I seem to recall I don't feel a very solid "click" when shifting into 4th, is there some type of detent mechanism that click into gear?

As far as the rubber boot, It is not an issue since it is not really bolted on yet. I wanted to wait til I get this fixed before I mount the center console.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 00, 03:27 AM
Tech Team

Reeko, the guys have listed all possiblities. But check linkage adjustment and clearance first. It could be that simple. Might have to shorten the 3/4 rod a freckle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode