1997 Camaro 3.8 No bottom end power: - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 00, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Question

This car has 22,000 miles on it for starts.
I just had it tuned up,here's what was done to it:
New plugs and wires:
Serpentine belt:
Oil Change and filter:
injector cleaner added:
I changed the Airbox filter yesterday becaus the idiots didn't do it for the $300 they charged me for this work....

I step on the gas,and it's slow to start off,I can't spin the back wheels in the rain hows that for an example :O )

I'm wondering if the timing is off,or if the fuel filter is clogged,or the plugs aren't gapped right...

The old plugs were fine I think,and the car was still slow,so I don't think it's a plug issue...

What the heck can it be???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

No ideas guys???
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 00, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Oh the Engine is a 3800 Series II...

If I can't solve the problem soon it's going back to the dealer for a C5 Corvette...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 05:47 AM

This is just a wild guess, I had a olds cutlass v6 that was the same way, turned out the electronic coil was shot, only ran on 4 cyls. I dont know anything about your engine but if it has the same electronic coil that might be whats wrong. This coil is a rectangular shaped black box that has a bunch of wires going in to it. Another minor hint is that its where the sparplug wires go
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,I'll have it checked out...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 00, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
Does your car rev smoothly? If it runs poorly in park, then it could be a coil or ignition module. I would buy a spark tester and check each wire to make sure there is a spark going to each cylinder. If the ignition checks out, I would go to the fuel system. I know this may sound stupid, but if your car is an auto, is the 2nd gear start button on? Just curious though, your car has 100,000 tune up schedule, was it running bad before you had it serviced?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

The car runs good in park,and no the SGS is not on hahahaha

It actually idled great before the tuneup,and still idles great now...

Throttle response is poor,I have to pretty much floor it to make it respond well...

During acceleration I hear this ssssssssssssssssss like the fuel line is clogged or the exhaust is clogged...

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
David

you may have answered you're own question, fuel or exhaust restriction. first, when you accellerate hard, does engine fall on it's face and get worse the more you push pedal, then seem to pick up as you let off? if so, replace the fuel filter. i am aservice advisor at a chevy dealership and this is a common complaint/symptom of a clogged fuel filter. no fuel filter replacement with you're tune up, you got screwed. also, if you're car is less than 3 years, the wires should have been warranty, so if you bought it after july of 97, and you are the original owner, its still under warranty. you might also check for back pressure in the exhaust, if the converter is plugged up (it shouldn't be), it carries an 8 year 80,000 mile warranty along with the computer. the standard warranty for all other items is 3/36. hope this helps

------------------
67 RS
355, SUPER T10 4 SPD
9" FORD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Thanks for the info,I'm gonna make an appointment with the dealer to have this corrected.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Oh and as a matter of fact the car does speed up after I start releasing the gas pedal...

The guy that tuned the car said he didn't check the fuel filter,but he said he changed the air cleaner and it was the original oooooh dirty dirty when I looked,so I gotta find another mechanic who's worthy...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

its a V6, thats why its slow.
and the hissssssssssssssss is normal. its on all the newer camaros.
------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 07-11-2000).]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 00, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Angry

I changed the fuel filter yesterday...
Throttle response is slightly better,but I'm either guessing the exhaust is restricted or the timing is off...

On a worse note,it could be the transmission.

Sorry Chris,the V6 Camaros are fast cars rating in at 200Hp before doing tweaks like power chips and flowmasters etc...

A proplerly tuned V6 Camaro will run with a 5.0 Mustang until the Mustang hits it's last gear....
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 04:00 AM
Senior Tech

Trig,

Im not trying to start a war, but just saying its a V6, sure it can be 200 hp, but a good ol 383 Stroker will Smoker anyday.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Red face

I'm really not concerned with other cars right now and racing the car,I have problems with my car I'm trying to resolve...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

Very slim chance here, but this does happen. The front exhaust pipes are double wall and they will sometimes collapse the inner wall when running through high water or even a large puddle. Chokes off the exhaust flow like a plugged converter. A pressure check at the first O2 sensor should find this if so. The fact that the car runs better when letting off the gas points to either a lean condition or exhaust restriction. The 3800 engine is at least as powerful as the V8 in many Camaros of the late 70s and early 80s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode