'81 Malibu flunked Ga emissions : NO2 - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 02, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Hello all, I know this isn't a camaro but you've got the best chevy site around. I have a 229 v-6 in this old bird and flunked the emissions for nitrous oxides. I assume that my cylinders are running too hot. My egr valve is fine but I think my passages may be clogged as its common with this engine. Any good ways to clean them out I tried a wire hanger but didn't work very well, I was considering avaition cable in my drill and boring through the carbon. Anyone have any better options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 02, 05:53 AM
msb

I've had to clean a few out in my time. Between coat hanger sessions let it soak with BG 44K, carb&choke cleaner or some kind of top engine cleaner. GM and Chrysler both have top engine cleaner. Guess Ford does too, but I haven't worked for them to know for sure.

And this works better if the manifold is off, you can work from both ends and check the ports in the heads too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Ah!, With it off? Well if I had that much confidence in myself I would but I'm gonna trysoaking it with carb cleaner or top end cleaner. Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 02, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech

Just to clarify a point, It is oxides of nitrogen, not nitrous oxide. They are two different chemicals, NOX is the first one the combines with Hydrocarbons and sunlight to form Photochemical smog and the other on is NO2 and is used to enhance engine performance when combined with the proper amount of additional fuel and in its Pharmaceutical form by Dentists.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017

If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 02, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for correcting me with that distinction. I was actually unsure of the chemical difference, except that anything that is a oxegenator is bad in your exhaust.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 02, 01:56 PM
Senior Tech

Sorry to be so anal about it, but a lot of people don't know what the difference is and you are the one that got unloaded on. NOX, if I'm not mistaken, has one atom of Nitrogen and one atom of Oxygen and NO2 has one atom of Nitrogen and two atoms of Oxygen and that Oxygen is what the Performance people are after and that is also why it is sssssoooooo important to get enough fuel included in the mixture or bad things happen inside the engine.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017

If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 02, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Hey I may have found the problem, my hot air to the carb wasn't being switched off properly the flap on the left hand exhaust manifold wasn't shuting as it should and there was no vacuum to the line that went to the diaphram. I changed out the tvs switch at the thermostat housing. Should this make a difference, I'm not sure whether the flap rests in the open or shut position, anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode