msd 6al digital - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 12, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Steve

msd 6al digital

I have a 68 Camaro 454 with Msd 6al digital box, blaster ss coil, 8361 msd distributor. All new parts. Car has been running since Memorial weekend no problems. I went to fire it up today and crank , no start. Digital box red light with key on is not lit. power and ground to heavy red and black are good as is the little red to ignition switch. I unplug and plug back in msd box with key on and I get red light for 1 full Mississippi and then blinks once and is out. I wiggle wires and no change. Any other similar problems? Needless to say MSD troubleshooting does not have this in their garden variety list. I believe I have a bad box. Obviously I dont have another digital box just laying around and regular 6al is not the same hook up. What do ya think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 12, 12:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: msd 6al digital

Ive junked all my MSD stuff since they are makin them with overseas parts now.
reliability sucks.
since replaced with mallory with no issues for years now.
MSD tech support
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 12, 11:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

AHHH yes ....the magical cure all box but did you read the small writting outlinning the potential side effects when using these?

I too have just pulled my 6al box out of the vehical this past week due to complications. The gains where marginal with it in and running properly but the intermitent issues were a bear to track down and frankly not something i would put up with again! These units are just another thing to complicate issues that do not need to be complicated . A good coil and electronic distributor is all one really needs. The "K.i.S.S." principle in this area is worth consideration. These boxes are highly overated and one would be better putting money towards something more usefull in their builds. The hype is difficult to ignore but do yourself a favor and toss it and don't look back. Spend money on tunning what you have and improve the gains 10 fold over bandaiding things with the magical box that only causes magical problems and masks them for the operators!

If you are adiment on using it then talk to the MSD tech support and keep their number handy on the speed dial.

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.

Last edited by 67RSSS; Jul 30th, 12 at 08:36 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 12, 01:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

they are quik to tell you your grounds are no good!
thats the first thing they say.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 12, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
The gains where marginal with it in and running properly but the intermitent issues were a bear to track down and frankly not something i would but up with again. These units are just another thing to complicate issues that do not need to be complicated . A good coil and electronic distributor is all one really needs. The "K.i.S.S." principle in this area is worth consideration.
Excellent description
"The gains where marginal"
Thats an interesting comment....usually the comment is far more up beat.
Usually the ign system being pulled, to be replaced, is worn or in need of tuning, old, HT leads suspect old etc...of cause there will be an improvement , even with very basic ball park timing ...this includes starting , running economy , everything.
It is this flaw in common sense so many of these after market accessories capitalise on with their claims and propaganda (marketing)...and the ultimate cult devalopement that without a bright red box under the hood that looks way out of place is worth huge bragging rights...incredable marketing achievement.
Imagaine a company convincing a whole industry over several generations that a pink poka dot brake booster is a must have/ bragging rights/ performance item....same thing.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 09:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Excellent description
"The gains where marginal"
Thats an interesting comment....usually the comment is far more up beat.
Usually the ign system being pulled, to be replaced, is worn or in need of tuning, old, HT leads suspect old etc...of cause there will be an improvement , even with very basic ball park timing ...this includes starting , running economy , everything.
It is this flaw in common sense so many of these after market accessories capitalise on with their claims and propaganda (marketing)...and the ultimate cult devalopement that without a bright red box under the hood that looks way out of place is worth huge bragging rights...incredable marketing achievement.
Imagaine a company convincing a whole industry over several generations that a pink poka dot brake booster is a must have/ bragging rights/ performance item....same thing.
I worked for Barry Grant carbs!
I bought one and never will again!
MSD is just getting greedy and trying to save a buck at loyal customers expense!

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

My 6 month old 6AL-2 programmable did something similiar, never a problem until one morning it started fine, idled for several seconds, then just quit, symptoms similiar to yours. Luckily it died in my garage, but out of the blue, wtf...

Sent it to MSD under warranty and was without it for over a month, bad output transistor was the culprit.
Needless to say, I now keep my original parts with me to be able to convert back in case of a repeat. Only reason I still run it now is to play with adv curves.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Well Boy,s I also have to agree with the above . I don,t have the digital 6al i do have the plain 6 al and vac adv billet dist. I paid alot of money and the gains were very minimal at best as to my expectations of this system. My original system was a well set up cast iron DELCO dist with a quick can and a blaster coil. I have written at length about my experiances with this set up on T/C andT/C check out my posts .Up to now i have not had any problems like rusting etc associated with the 6 al but mine is a few yrs. old prior to thier overseas out sourcing. I can tell you this, when i do have problems with it if its not a quick fix OUT IT GOES. I have used Pertronix 1 and 2 great stuff no problems.I can,t wait to install one of thier new Plug & Play distributors. Alex
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 01:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I would 2nd the Pertronix as an alternative! Their Flame thrower II or the new III that offers multiple spark through the entire RPM range not just 2500RPM like the MSD units. More than sufficient for our street cars!

The only drawback to their Flame Thrower Distributors is the replacement part costs (rotors, caps) which cost 3x what regular rotors and caps cost.

The other issue with the Pertronix II and III that you need to be aware of ahead of time is that they require a 6 ohm or 3 ohm coil not the standard 1.5 ohm coil. Should one ever have issue with the Pertronix units, parts are not normally carried by the small suppliers and need to be ordered? This can be a problem if you are in a small town and expecting these to be on the shelf, it's just not the case.

The other option to seriously consider is "Dave’s" small base distributors that are great quality and use common parts that are readily accessible. This is definitely a viable option with proven success. I believe the cost is $195.00
They will also recurv the distributor for your particular setup which others would charge $100.00-150.00 extra for.

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.

Last edited by 67RSSS; Jul 31st, 12 at 04:05 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 02:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Add me to this list. My digital 6 Plus right now is back to the factory again. I've had for around 3 years. They are fixing it under warranty - again. Maybe they know they have a problem, ya think? It quit just like the others here. In fact it quit while tuning for a race the next day. The car was running, turned off then wouldn't start. I would have replaced it with my old 6A but it was dead too and had been issued an RMA. It's yet to go back. My solution? I bought a new 6AL. It's working so far but it's only 2 weeks old. Us old farts never learn. Actually that's not all true. I could have written Steps post so there's hope for me.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

What is inside these dizzies? on the circuit boards?
Do they have capacitors? and if they do, has the cross on the top of them , or a couple a bit swollen.
Now this issue with chinese capacitors was meant to to have been sorted out about 5 yrs ago...google it...has cost motherboard manufactors millions.
I have 3 routers beside me, all inconsistant performace, swollen capacitors.. I have even brought new capactitors higher rated and replaced, 2 yrs later same again.
Just trown out a huge pile of motherboards, same thing...thrown away a battery chager same thing, and same thing in our pioneer 7.2 entertainment center, did it out of warrantee...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Reverse burn-in, huh?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode