Fuel Guage - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 00, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Have a problem with my fuel guage. Had some problems earlier with my underdash wiring; it was the 33 year old light bulbs and sockets. I'm still having problems with my gas guage; it always stays to the far right, reguardless how much fuel is in the car. I've checked the circuit board of the dash and it checks out as far continuity throughout. Any time I start up, it jumps to the far right.

Need help, what do you think?

Sinkit 67 "The Real Deal"

67 Camaro, 350 Eng, 350 Trans, 10 Bolt Rear

------------------
Sinkit67 "Lets get started".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 00, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
That is the default position....full resistance (open circuit) will show Full on the guage. Have you checked the resistance on the sending unit? Should be minimal ohms when empty and 90 ohms when full...

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 00, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

I agree as stated before me. I have found a broken or disconnected wire from the harness back to the sender. It should be a tan colored wire if I remember right.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 00, 05:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Right, guage on the far right is an open connection between the guage and the sender. Brown wire, the sending unit connects to the main body harness in the trunk, right by the filler tube. Disconnect it, and jumper the wiring harness connector to ground. If the guage falls to empty, the sending unit is bad, or disconnected on top of the tank. I just went through this, it was a bad sending unit, dropped the tank and replaced it, all OK now. If the guage doesn't fall to empty when you jumper it, the brown wire in the harness is open between the back of the car and the gas guage, most probably where the dash harness plugs into the instrument cluster pcb.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 00, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

JimM, good isolation tips, I'll check the wires "ASAP" and let you'll know.

sinkit 67 "The Real Deal" <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimM:
Right, guage on the far right is an open connection between the guage and the sender. Brown wire, the sending unit connects to the main body harness in the trunk, right by the filler tube. Disconnect it, and jumper the wiring harness connector to ground. If the guage falls to empty, the sending unit is bad, or disconnected on top of the tank. I just went through this, it was a bad sending unit, dropped the tank and replaced it, all OK now. If the guage doesn't fall to empty when you jumper it, the brown wire in the harness is open between the back of the car and the gas guage, most probably where the dash harness plugs into the instrument cluster pcb.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Sinkit67 "Lets get started".
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech

One other thing to try is to ground the fuel tank, the tank has to be grounded to the body. Scratch a clean spot on the tank and some where on the chassis and use a jump wire between the two spots, look at your gauge, if it works now then you need to ground the tank. Drop down one strap, clean the tank under the strap and clean the strap, bolt it back up and every thing should work.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 09:27 AM

Wink

I had the same prob. in my 67 the sending unit was good it was my ground on it that was bad check that before replacing the unit. Wish I would have, now I'm out $60.00

------------------
Severe 67
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

Could be the ground on the guage cluster. I had the same problem with my 67 during restoration. Here the guage cluster is grounded to the dash by a stupid rigid wire that connects to the center top screw above the bright light indicator. Check that ground first, it's probably easiest, and I bet you that's your problem. If the ground is iffy at all, the guage will peg itself.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 06:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I just fixed the same prob in my '68. There was (is) a ground wire running from a spade lug on the sending unit to the pass side front of the gas tank support in the body (where the front of the tank strap hooks in) My sending unit was bad. Again, the test is to disconnect the light brown wire from the harness in the trunk, and ground the wire in the harness. If the guage and wiring from there forward is good, the guage will drop to empty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode