Horn won't just hear a "click..click" - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I just replaced my steering wheel on my 69. I put everything back together, reconnected the battery, pushed the button and got it to "honk" 3 times and then just clicks from the relay I think. The sounds became faiter and faiter and distorted on the 3 honk.
I assume all was done correctly, it did work, but I just get clicks now. The battery is not fully charged, but it has enought juice to start the car and stuff, so that should be fine.

I only have 1 horn on the drivers side for now. I tested horn buy disconnecting the wire on the horn (green one), left it bolted to car and I jumped positive batt lead to that location (where is gree wire was connected) and I got nothing.

Q1: was this the correct testing procedure?
Q2: Is my horn dead now?
Q3: another coincidance? Change wheel and horn dies, almost at the same time?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by mikestr (edited 03-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by mikestr (edited 03-08-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 11:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

If you jumped 12volts directly to the horn terminal and got nothing, then you don't have a good ground. The horn makes ground thru it's base. Remove the horn and scratch the paint a little where it's located and clean (wire brush)the horn's base as well. If you hear a click on the horn relay, then your steering instal should be OK.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ORENCH:
If you jumped 12volts directly to the horn terminal and got nothing, then you don't have a good ground. The horn makes ground thru it's base. Remove the horn and scratch the paint a little where it's located and clean (wire brush)the horn's base as well. If you hear a click on the horn relay, then your steering instal should be OK.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked for ground. I used a test light to do this. I clamped the negative to the horn base and went to the battery positive and the test light lit up. Just for good measure I did scrath the surface on both sides of the connection and still get the click from the steering wheel. With the direct connection scenario I get nothing.

I also gave the horn some taps with the end of a screw driver, it faitly honked a couple of times then nothing. When I took the horn off I gave it a good shake and I hear little rattling noises inside.

I was under the impression that the relay is on the drivers side on the rad support not in the horn.

Any other suggestions?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 03:09 PM
Tech Team

did it work before u changed the wheel i dunno for sure but i would try a horn or read ne other posts on this
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

The relay is in fact in the rad support/drivers side. With the test light, check for voltage presense at the wire connection to the horn. Ask somebody to push the steering button on the steering wheel while you check for voltage. If there is 12volts (I personnaly prefer a volt meter) at the wire to the horn and you got good ground, then IMO your horn unit is faulty. If you don't have any voltage to the horn while pushing the steering button, then the relay isn't receiving the supply voltage it needs to transfer it to the horn, it's just receiving voltage to it's coil and ground from the steering.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 03-08-2002).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 02, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I bought a $15 horn for testing, works fine. My original horn is dead.

Thanks all for your help!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 02, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Original horns are notorious for failing. I have a box full of dead ones. Some times you can save a dead one by soaking in wd-40. Rebuilding is possible but only worth the effort for numbers perfect cars with matching date codes as it is very difficult.
-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode