Engine makes clicking noise - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Hi,
I 'd like to have your advice because i 've never worked on an engine yet (camaro is new for me) and i recently noticed a clicking noise I describe here :

this clicking noise seems like a valve noise, like a valve 'd knock its seal . Or a loose rocker. I don't hear it at idle, or without load. but when we accelerate it comes really, and at cruising too, but not as hard as under full throttle. clicliclcilc come faster with the RPM going faster.
I first heard that noise (very little then) something like 120 miles ago, and the noise increased. Now we hear it more distinctevly than at the begin.

I'd like ou to tell me what you think that noise might be.
I have a Chilton manual. I 'll look in it too see if they talk about tightening rockers and adjusting valves. If you know a web page that explain how to do, tell me please.
And don't i need any special tools for it?

Thanks
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech

exhaust leak.. those things can drive a guy insane. make sure your manifolds (or headers) are nice and tight, and that the gasket is good.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 09:02 AM
David Pozzi

Get a piece of hose about as long as your arm, put one end to your ear, use the other end to search for the sound.
Could be an exhaust leak, rocker that is loose, or noisy fuel pump.

With the fuel pump, the pushrod can get bent if a too-long bolt is EVER put into the right front bolt hole (second hole up from bottom) in the block, the one that intersects the fuel pump pushrod hole. The bent rod can knock.

This hole WILL LEAK OIL, if no bolt is in the hole. A short 3/8" bolt with sealer on it should be in the hole at all times.
The pump has a rubber grommet under the fuel pump diaphragm rod, if it splits, the pump can knock.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 02, 02:39 PM

Also could be pinging(sparkknock). Try setting your time a little lower or try a higher octane gas. Does this only when driving?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 02, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Jerry

Send a message via MSN to blackvi
I came across a similar problem when I had a solid cam in my Firebird. Since it was my first solid lift cam, I thought that the valves needed to be adjusted. No matter how many times I readjusted the valves, the sound would not go away. It turned out to be a leak between my gasket, and the header. My problem was the bolts in the headers. I had 3 different types of bolts, with 3 different lengths! (of all the #$%^%^ reasons) Why the header gaskets would not seal after that particular modification is beyond me. I solved the problem easily by purchasing a set of header bolts. Problem was fixed easily!!! You may want to look into checking all of the exhaust bolts on yourcar.

------------------
84 Modified F-body
"Skinnin' season is just a phone call away!"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Thank you !
I'll check all you told me, and i'll let you know. The fact i was a bit long is the car is not home for the while, and i can't drive with it because of a new hood... so no hurry. But we'll fix that clicking problem before we drive it.

It surely isn't a pinging problem, cause we run here with minimum 95 octane, and there is not a lot of advance .
But yes the noise come harder under load.

Thanks,
Marc

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 1st, 02, 12:21 PM

you have a car's twin brother it seems. my neighbor tight/adjusted the valve things underneath the valve covers, i don't even know what they are called. that sound is gone. but of course, we know hear the other which i was told is a exhaust leak. seems the donut flunge gasket or something in that area needs some replacing and tightened good. hope this helps

------------------
68' 350eng/350trans
88' BMW 735i
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 02, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Hi!
Well we checked the rockers at one side, there is not any loose rocker. At the side where the noise come from.
The noise is now VERY hard! even at idle we here it! And we did not ride more than a 60 miles since i told you about it. We can't see a leak from the headers gasket.
Any suggestions?

Marc
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 02, 09:28 AM
Tech Team

Marc, you won't SEE a leak from the headers but it could still be there. make sure all of your exaust manifold bolts are tight at the head. If you find a loose one & the noise gets quieter after tightening but does'nt quite go away, than change the gakets. Other than that the hose ideah to your ear will at least isolate the noisy area, and you can methodically eliminate one possibility after another until the culprit is found. Loose rocker arm, collapsing lifter, rod knocking etc. start with the easiest possible fix & elliminate your potential problems one at a time. A noise described as a clicking sound could be a number of things but by isolating the noisy area, and than eliminating one potential problem after another you will eventually find the cause. Keep us posted, Terry
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 02, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Ok thanks.
The problem is i am a novice. And here in BElgium old american V8 are not commun. But i'll try to fix that problem. Anyway i have to. I'll do what you told me about the headers and i'll let you know.

byebye
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 02, 09:59 AM
Tech Team

Hey, we all started somewhere, don't be afraid to tackle it, Terry
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 02, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

I had the same symtoms with a brand new 383. Turned out to be a spun #1 rod bearing and the knocking was the piston smacking the head. This is not a good thing for the head. It's not real good on the piston either. It also trashed out the crank and rod. I have had better days. I hope this is not the probem your having. It's not a cheap fix.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 02, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

it is the header gasket..

Luckly nothing else!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 02, 07:19 AM
Tech Team

Thats great marc. Glad it wasn't more serious. Terry
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 12th, 02, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Here is how we fixed it for now... I asked the friend i used to work with to come home, he direclty saw the gasket was worn. It was in 3 pieces. So he as he didn't have a new gasket and that it was to bad to leave so he asked for Aluminium paper, and he "rebuild " the gasket with grease on the aluminium paper. He reassembled the whole thing, installed it again on the headers, and the all operation took 30 minutes! Result : the engine runs as new! No clicking noise at all! Of course we will install a set of new gasket soon, but the idea of aluminium was good! My friend also told me to avoid those "paper" gasket and to install full aluminium gasket. What do you think about it?

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode