Door won't unlock...help - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Red face

I was working on installing new door locks this morning. The driver side lock was sticky, so I sprayed some WD-40 on the assembly from inside the door. I used a screwdriver to throw the latch and locked the door, now it won't unlock at all. The lock with move, just not all the way to unlock. I have good access from inside the panel and no matter how hard I push or pull, it will not unlock. Is there some truck to this, or does someone have some advice...help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech

unhook the linkage that goes from the key cylinder to the door latch and see if it works then. sometimes the cylinder can bind up for no apparent reason.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 12:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
I had the same problem on the driver side door. My lock would move, but it would not move all the way to unlock the door. First, I rolled the window down. Since my weather seals are shot, there was enough of a gap for me to shine a flash light into the door. I opened and closed the lock and looked for any moving parts. There is a little lever (not sure what it is called) directly above the lock/door handle that moved. I took a flat piece of metal (like a slim jim) and positioned it directly over the lever and pulled the lock towards myself. Since I saw the part that moved originally it only took me one shot and the door opened. My have to try this a few times if you can't see into the door. Good luck

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech

Check the inside and outside door latch rods, sounds like one is partialy held to the open, this will prevent the door lock mechanisim from working.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Well, I checked to make sure that the cylinder was not the problem...I removed it with no change.

I didn't notice that the door latch rods were "open"...I'll look closer...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I checked the the rods from the inside and out, it doesn't seem to be "open". I pushed both rods to the farthese position and no luck! Anyone else have any idea's? I reeeeealy don't want to try taking off the latch on my freshly painted door!

Thanks for your help!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 06:22 PM

Sounds like a broken release tab return spring..no?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 03, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech

I totally agree with Panther.I've had the same problem and it was a lock spring.I have extra ones someplace in my garage and I'm looking for them for the GM part# but cant find them.I'm suffering from C.R.S. Classic Industries has them though.P/N G6861 for the Left and P/N G6862 for the Right. 2.06 each.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Question

What is a "release tab return spring", and how would I check and/or replace it. Does the latch need to come out?

Thanks again for your help!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

No the latch doesnt need to come out.If the spring is broken I'll bet you'll find it in the bottom of the door shell.I dont have a picture of where the spring goes on the latch assembly.I'd remove both door pannels and look at the "good latch" for referance.That should help.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 03, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech

You might also want to get inside that door with the WD-40 and spray the entire latching mechanism, it could very well be gummed up and just not releasing. after spraying everything (dont be stingy with the wd) manually push/pull on the linkage that was attached to the lock cylinder also check the linkage going to both interior and exterior latch releases, life on them and try to pull the door open, even with a broken spring you should be able to persuade the latch to open.

PS. could also be a foreign object ie:masking tape,cloth,paper, etc. got stuck in the latch during the painting process.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 6th, 06, 04:29 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Door won't unlock...help

I am bringing back this thread because I am having the same issues. I was installing new locks on both doors. Before the locks were installed both doors opened and closed perfect. Now both doors will not open. I sprayed WD40 all over everything and nothing. When I press the door handle open or pull the inner door opener they move enough to open the door but they are FLAT OUT LOCKED. Now I have to cancel my appointment for my window install because of this. I am so pissed right now I feel like giving up....

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 04:28 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Unhappy Re: Door won't unlock...help

top.....

took them apart today fully degreased them. No springs look to be damaged and seems to function. As soon as they go back on the car it wont open. Needless to say I am getting pretty frustrated....

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Do they work ok with the locks removed?
do they work with the old locks?
maybe they not rotating all the way for some reason?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 06, 11:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

They are up the right way?

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode