ABS Pump Motor - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 03, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Red face

Hey there! I have a 1994 Camaro 3.4 V6. It has about 146,000 miles on it. I took my car to get looked at and was told I have an intermittant shorted ABS Pump Motor going out.

I just want to get some other opinions on this. My ABS light is on all the time. Sometimes it comes on as soon as I start my car, some times it comes on after I've driven it a few miles.

Every now and then when I start my car and put it in drive, the first time I apply my breaks they will be very touchy! I'll barely even touch them and it will just lock up. It will feel like I slammed them to the floor. They do that about one time a month or so. Then I noticed when I am at a steep incline and I get to a stop sign, I'll hear this weird grinding noise coming from my breaks.

My question is....what does your car do when the ABS pump motor is going out? Does that sound like the pump motor? I know nothing about this kind of stuff, but I want to get as much info as I can before I go spend $1500 getting it fixed.

Thank you so much! I look forward to any replies on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 03, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech

I was told 3,000 for an 88 LSC abs solenoid block and they would have to have it made. It sounds like the control unit like named above. Remember I'm not authority on brakes. Mine had a leak from what the dealer said. The leak was causing the loss of preasure. I did notice the booster can with some sort of fancy nitrogen filled chamber seemed to fix the problem if I'd push it to one side. I suspect there was actually a leak where that part attaches due to it being loose. It seems the whole area of firewall and fender were black along with lines and parts to make it an impossible task to figure out what's down in the mess crammed in the corner.
Anyway here's how you can see if your pump is working. Before starting the car apply the brake. Turn the ignition to on and the brake pedal should kick back with a bit of preasure and you might possibly hear the pump repreasurizing the system.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 03, 01:34 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds to me like three seperate problems.

Touchy brakes first thing in the morning sounds like dampness (wet) brake pads, it's common because of aggressive metallic pads and if your ABS is not working they will lock up.

Grinding noise sounds like worn pads, rotors, or bearings which has nothing to do with the ABS or how it works. This would be my first concern, the thing to fix first.

Each time you cylce the ignition (turn key on) the ABS system will perform a self check and the ABS light will flash a # of times. If everything is OK the light will go out, if something is wrong the light wil remain on and disable the ABS system leaving the vehicle with a standard power brake system. This means it is possible to lock up the brakes on one or more wheels during a skid. The ABS motor is part of the ABS valve and is serviced as an assembly, current pricing is about $1300.00 dollars. There should be trouble codes stored in the ABS computer to diagnose your problem but a Tech I or II with a chassis cartridge is required to retrieve them and should be an easy fix. Did whoever told you your ABS motor had an intermitent short scan the ABS computer?

I would fix the mechanical part of the brakes (pads, rotors, etc.) first, then have the ABS looked at. If you hear grinding noise, one of your wheel sensors might just be full of metal particals causing it not to function correctly (they are magnetic) and can cause an ABS light to set. Could be as simple as this.

Brakes are nothing to fool around with, get a qualified person to check them out and get them fixed. Good Luck.

Drew

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 03, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech

pull the fuse and see how well the brakes work then. ABS is unnecessary if you are paying attention, anyways.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 03, 03:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

My GMC truck had the ABS act up and I did what ND. Problems went away and I personally like the brakes much better now.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode