'69 Speedometer Cable Question - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have an M20 4 speed Transmission in my '69. I bought a 64" speedo cable from Classic Industries and it was a few inches too short. I sent it back and ordered one the next size longer. They assured me it would fit my car. The new cable has screw fittings on each end and my speedometer has the clip on type fastener. The 64" cable I sent back had the right fittings on both ends for my application. The new one fits correctly on my transmission, but not on the speedo end. Can I buy any type of adapter to make the screw on fitting fit my clip on speedo fitting? Anybody else had this problem? If so, any input would be appreciated. Thanks! Bill

[This message has been edited by redlines4us (edited 02-02-2003).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 08:43 AM
David Pozzi

Automatic and Saginaw Camaros came with the spedo cable coming out of the firewall on the lower left near the steering column.

M-20 Camaros have the spedo cable coming out of a hole just below the windshield wiper motor near the throttle arm. The cable runs on top of the bellhousing down to the pass side of the trans.
Which do you have?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My car was originally an automatic and it has the speedo hole by the steering column. Now it's a 4 speed M-20 and the 64" cable wouldn't reach by going across the bellhousing. That's why I had to get a longer cable. Now the cable is long enough, but the ends are both screw type fittings and the back of my speedo has the clip, not threads.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

I used to jump to Classic or some other mail order whenever I needed something. Then I figured out (yeah, I'm slow) that a lot of stuff I thought was hard to find is, in fact, not so hard to find. Speedo cables can be bought at the local auto store. Then you don't have to back-and-forth through the mail to get the part correct.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 03, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech

Checkers or anyone else has the part. Did my 71 SS with the parts store part. You might have a problem getting the cable to plug in if the shaped ends of the inner cable don't match up. I figured out plug the trans end in first since you can always spin the other end for a matching up then screw it down tight on the trans. Then run the cable up the passenger side engine compartment between the headers and engine so that you end up with the cable over the trans and bells housing out of sight where it pops out from under the cowl on the drivers side. Then after you make it up to the speedometer and don't get a match up drive forward to activate the spin of the cable while it's as close to being in as possible. Then hopefully it will of matched it's self up to the hole and you can press the round dothingy on the rest of the way. I'm not sure if I luckily got the cable thru a text book shown tube that's in the mess under instrument panel but I made it thru the mess with a straightish shot at the speedometer after a lot of pain.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 03, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just returned from the local parts store and sure enough they had the correct length cable with the correct ends. I had to get one listed for a '70 Camaro. Now I've got another problem. When I hook the cable to my speedo and use a drill motor on reverse, the speedo needle moves. When I run the drill motor in forward the needle doesn't move. Is this normal? When I hook up the threaded end of the cable to the transmission, and drive the car. The speedo doesn't work. Could my gears be stripped? There is a threaded fitting in my transmission tail shaft and it's secured by a tab with a bolt to keep it from moving. Is this the gear? If I remove it can I see whether or not the gears are stripped? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Bill

[This message has been edited by redlines4us (edited 02-03-2003).]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 03, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Yes, this is the holder for the plastic gear.

Remove the bolt and the assembly will come out. Reach in with your finger to feel the steel gear on the output shaft. Just to be sure everything lines up.

Now, if gear just pulled is stripped, replace with the same color/teeth from dealer, any GM dealer will have it.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 03, 03:44 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

AC Delco correct part # for a 69 with a muncie would be a 61 inch AC Delco CC1018 - #25032866 I realize that there are different lengths, however I have found that this one seems to fit just about everything with a four speed. If you route the cable across the bellhousing and down the passenger side as David said, a 61 inch cable is plenty long enough.
Jim

[This message has been edited by GMJim (edited 02-04-2003).]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 03, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, here's where I'm at right now. I've got the proper length speedo cable and I've just installed a new speedometer gear in the 4 speed M-20 transmission. I hooked the cable to my speedometer and the other end to a drill motor. When I operate the drill motor in reverse, the speedometer works. When I run the drill motor in forward, the speedometer does not register. I then hooked up the cable to the transmission and to the speedometer , jacked the rear tires off the ground and the speedometer does not work in forward or reverse. Any suggestions? Thanks! Bill
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 03, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Plastic gear is not large enough diameter to engage with output shaft gear. Not enough teeth OR not physically located in the correct spot to engage with o/shaft gear.

I would imagine the pinion would be installed on the bottom if mounted on the driver's side of tms. To operate the speedo from the passenger side, pinion would be mounted on top of o/shaft gear. Otherwise, plastic gear would have to have opposite angle of teeth to turn speedo IF installed on the bottom pass side. I don't think The General would make two different designs of plastic gears. It would be real confusing to parts people and the customer in ordering correct parts.

Kind of like ordering valve cover gaskets for a SBC, out of stock, but, we do have them for a '79 Malibu with 267 CID automatic, A/C, P/S.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

[This message has been edited by Everett#2390 (edited 02-05-2003).]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 03, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The gear I just took out was a 19 tooth gear and I replaced it with the same gear. The entire head of the gear where the teeth are located measures 3/4" across. Are there different width gears? I know there are different number of teeth gears. I have an M-20 4 speed and the gear mounts on the passenger side toward the bottom of the tail shaft and pushes in upward toward the floorboard. Bill

[This message has been edited by redlines4us (edited 02-05-2003).]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 03, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
John

Has this trans been in your car before with the speedo working, or is it a new installation? Muncies prior to 1971 had two different diameter DRIVE gears on the trans output shaft, depending on the spread of axle ratios they were to be used with, and there were two different diameters of plastic DRIVEN gears designed to mesh with either the "large" or "small" diameter DRIVE gear. If your trans has the small gear and the plastic driven gear is also the "small" variety, the two won't mesh and the speedo cable won't turn; likewise, if the trans has the "large" gear and the plastic driven gear is also "large", the drive gear will "eat" the driven gear almost instantly. All Muncies after 1971 used the "large" DRIVE gear, and used all "small" DRIVEN gears.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 03, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

JohnZ,
Thanks for the input. My Muncie is supposedly a 1970. I suspect that my drive gear is the small one and my driven gear is also the small one. I can't seem to find anyone who has a larger driven gear. They all seem to be about 3/4" in diameter. Any suggestions? Thanks! Bill
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 03, 11:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage
I have the same problem. I bought my 69 Camaro a few months ago and the speedo wasn't working either. My car was converted to a 4 speed too. My car originally came with a 307 and powerglide. When I bought it, the kid said the 4 speed I had was also out of a 69 Camaro. I bought a new speedo cable and ran into the same problem you did. I replaced the Drive gear with a white plastic one, and when I backed the car out, but speedometer clicked a few times and stayed at 30MPH. When I drive forward, nothing happens. I thought my speedometer was broken. That may still be the case, but now that I know they make two different size gears, I'll try the larger gear first.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 03, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I checked with a flashlight and a mirror and the drive gear is in there alright. I called a local transmission shop and he said there were 3 different size drive gears in a '70 Muncie and the driven gear I need with my 15" tires and 3:73 gears is a green 22 tooth driven gear. He said it is larger in diameter than the 19 tooth gear I just replaced. Sounds logical. I then called Classic Industries to order one and the guy told me there are 4 different size drive gears in a '70 Muncie and that "All of the driven gears are the same exact diameter" Some of them just have more teeth. So now with 2 different opinions, I'm right back where I started. I just called my local Chevy dealer and ordered a 22 tooth green driven gear and it will be here Thursday.
I'll just have to hope it works.

[This message has been edited by redlines4us (edited 02-11-2003).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode