69 factory air not cooling very well - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Question

At idle the A/C blows cool, but not very hard, when driving the air gets lukewarm. It was converted to 134, it had not worked previously so I have nothing to compare it to. Should it get cold? The technician who did it said that would be as good as it gets. This is my first "old car" as my wife calls it so I have no baseline to compare it with. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 00, 01:56 PM
Senior Tech

Stick a thermoter in the AC vent, and run it full blast, the temp should drop to at least 50 degrees on a hot humid over 90 degree day, I was told rule of thumb on 134 system is 40 degrees below out side temp. Is your fan drawing enough air through the rad and condensor ( 7 blades?)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 00, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

At idle the car cools very well, gets 40 - 50 degrees colder. When moving the air warms up quite a bit, only about 10 - 15 degrees cooler. On a 95 degree day at idle it got to 53 degrees, when moving it goes up to around 80 degrees. It holds pressure, it is has had around 4 pounds of 134a put in. It has a flex fan right now, but I have a thermal clutch and fan assembly on the way. I have been told this will help keep the engine temp down, it gets to around 210 with a 160 degree thermostat. I get the feeling I may need a bigger radiator. The shroud is intact. I might just be rambling now so I will sign off

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 00, 04:38 PM
David Pozzi

If the air gets too cold it will ice up the core in the ac box. Especially if there is humidity. The air flow will reduce to almost nothing.
Turning it off for a while would restore air flow and then you could turn the air cond on and it would be great for about 10 minutes or less, then air flow would go down.
I had this in a 72 corvette. The air cond was too cold. I can't remember if it was a thermal switch or overcharged.

David

------------------
Check my web page for suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 00, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech

When it was converted to 134a did the shop replace the dryer and orings? Just putting in 134a will not work without changing the orings, dryer also the orifice screen should be cleaned.

------------------
68SS ZZ4, 4sp T-10, 12 bolt, getting painted

78Z28, 330hp vortec, TH350, 10 bolt (just finished)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 00, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

The drier was changed, not sure about the o-rings, I would guess not. When talking to the previous owner and his trouble with the leak, which was fixed by the shop I took it to it seems he added quite a bit of oil. I am not sure why but he did. I have a theory now that there is simply too much oil, old and new in the system, so the shop I took it to said they would take the entire system apart and blow out all the oil out and replace all the o-rings as well. As for freezing up, that was my first thought, but the airflow doesn't drop off just the temp raises. Thanks for all the help, I will let you know after the shop looks at it if it works.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 00, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Well we pulled the entire system apart and drained quite a bit of oil. 5oz or so. Recharged with 3 cans of 134a and it gets down to 49 degrees on a 100 degrees day. I found new trouble however, seems I have some holes in the seams of my radiator, so it looks like new radiator time. But that will give me the chance to do a little cleaning up in the front. My wife is beginning to think I love my Camaro more than her, so she suggested I put a cot in the garage. She sure is funny that way.

For a quick glimpse of my car My home page

[This message has been edited by kgb69 (edited 07-17-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode