Cold starting - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Recently purchased 83 Camaro,this is my first
non fuel injected car,my question is how can i improve the running quality on starting from cold,it seems to take about 15 mins to warm up,is this normal or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech

A carburated car runs better in the cold when the distributer is set a little advanced. Turn it counter clockwise. becareful not to advance it too far. Listen for engine ping. If you hear a ping the distributer is set to advanced.

If this doesn't work, try a thermatic air cleaner. It takes hot air from the engine instead of open air.

good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 10:11 AM
David Pozzi

See my post below.
------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 11-28-2000).]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Goatji for the advice,i will try this,
Davidpozzi,i think you misread my posting,this is a carburated Camaro,not FI just to further add to my question when i said it takes about 15min to warm up,meaning if i try and drive off on cold it will stall on me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 00, 04:00 PM
Tech Team

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, because I'm sure you already did this...check the choke adjustment? I drive a 76 and a 68, both with Q-junks...your description is a fairly common q-junk symptom, and a proper choke adjustment will solve the stalling problem. As for warming it up...do you have a heat stove to direct hot air into the intake charge when cold. If so, check to see if it is functioning correctly.

------------------
1976 Type LT Restification (in progress)

1968 2 door sport coupe...wife's car!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech

It is probably the one wire choke that has rivets holding it to the housing. GM makes a screw kit to allow adjustment of the choke due to the calibration differences over years of use. Also set the choke when it is cold to get a more accurate setting.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 02:18 PM
David Pozzi

OOps!
I read too fast!
I think you should add more choke blade angle (closed) when cold.
Sometimes you can just rotate the choke adjust plate, other times it's a screw that needs turning, or a rod to bend. I'm not shure what carb you have or what choke system.

A neat thing to try is to manually open or close the choke just a bit when the engine is having the problem.
Carefully observe the amount you need to close it to improve the engines running.
The engine will "tell" you what it likes by running better.
Make shure you have the stock air cleaner and heat "stove" pipe from the exhaust manifold. This brings hot air to the carb to vaporise the fuel for quicker warm ups.
Some systems use a thermal valve coming out of the intake manifold water outlet.
It has a bunch (four or more) of vaccum hoses coming out of it. When these go bad the choke can stay on too long and some people will then re adjust the choke to make it go off sooner. Then everything get's screwed up.
Check for bad vaccum hoses and leaks too.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 07:22 PM

Cool

My friend go to your local "YOU PULL IT" autowreckers find a cold air intake assembly on any chey engine (try to find a 305 or a big 6 but they are mostly all the same) take a flat blade screw driver push the metal tab out of the slot on the strap holding on the THERMAC motor(the DISC shaped unit that sets on the top of the assembly) detach the L shaped rod from the flapper. Push rod into THERMAC motor and hold thumb over vacum hose nipple, if it holds its realitive position (some play is allowed test a few out while still assembled on the cold air intake) then put the best one in your pocket, oh and grab a pocketfull of fuses and small bulbs too, they're bound to come in handy. Make sure that the choke plate on the carb is completely closed when the engine is cold(morning) when the motor is started the choke plate should open 1/8" and continue to open as car warms up. With your new THERMAC motor you should be able to start and go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode