No Heat & Overheating Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 00, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Help. I have an 89 camero RS and it has a V8. We had a subzero day and suddenly I have no heat. The fan works perfectly but It blows air thats just as cold as the outside air. My engine has also started running very hot (close to the red zone on the temp gage). I assume the two are related. Can somebody please tell me what the problem could possibly be?

[This message has been edited by 89reallyslow (edited 12-18-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 11:01 AM

You have no heat becuase something is frozen in your motor like a hoze or radiator. If anything freezez your heater will blow cold air and your car will overheat did you have antifreeze in it if not put some in it hope that helps
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89reallyslow:
Help. I have an 89 camero RS and it has a V8. We had a subzero day and suddenly I have no heat. The fan works perfectly but It blows air thats just as cold as the outside air. My engine has also started running very hot (close to the red zone on the temp gage). I assume the two are related. Can somebody please tell me what the problem could possibly be?

[This message has been edited by 89reallyslow (edited 12-18-2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech

I hate to point out the obvious, but no heat and/or overheating frequently mean no (or at least low) coolant. Particularly if they happen simultaneously. You've checked this, right??

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech

A quick check would be to run the engine again and put your hand and on the hoses going to the heater core, if cold, you are very low on coolant or the water is slush or frozen.

------------------
68 RS red w/ white stripes
67 SS/RS restoring
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 04:33 PM
Tech Team

what's a camero?? I know that in camaros that if something like that happens you should check the coolant.. don't know about cameros though... check your manual
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 00, 07:05 PM

I think Cameros were made by Chavrolat, can't remember. Keep preaching the word, brother tireblazin68! We'll get this straightened out someday!

------------------
Ben - '67 RS/SS350 - Mustangs, meet your NEMESS
"There's an 'e' in Ben, but there's NO 'E' IN CAMARO!!" (sorry, just a pet peeve of mine!)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 03:23 PM

Don't forget to check/replace the thermostat (god i hope that's spelled right). there cheap, but can cause some big problems.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 04:15 PM
Tech Team

HA! you spelled thermostat right but used the wrong there... should have used they're... atleast you didn't mispell camaro though
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 00, 04:42 PM

well if you have antifreeze in the car then nothen is frozen and you should check your water level and if thats good then the next step is your thermostat but give the engine a good flush with a garden hose and replace the thermostat

James
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 00, 03:45 PM

Thanks Blazin, I was loosing sleep over it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 06:34 PM

Lightbulb

Its a possibility that your coolant wasn't mixed for subzero conditions and froze. Which may cause a cracked block when started to expand on warm up. Which would cause overheating, no heat, and coolant loss. How long did the car sit? And how cold was it? If it sat all day and night in subzero condition, its a possibility. But check that last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode