Dropping Engine RPM's and Stalling - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vince

Dropping Engine RPM's and Stalling

I have a 1969 Z/28 with the factory 302. I take it out only about once every 2-3 months. I drive it on a combination street and highway route that totals about 36 miles. Beginning about a year ago every so often when I had travelled most of the route and was heading home whenever I stopped at a red light the idle would drop down to about 500-600 rpm; normally it idles around 1,000. This would make me wish I had a third foot to keep the idle up while stopped. This problem seems to have gotten worse over the past year. Sometimes it will die completely at a stop and then is really hard to restart. It does seem to happen more often and get worse the hotter the weather is. The temp gauge never reads above the second small line past the first quarter mark on the gauge so I don't think the engine is running hot. When I turn the engine off it does go up to the halfway mark or a little above, but I have been told this is normal with the fan not running after turning the engine off after it was running at normal operating temperature for awhile.
Sometimes this above described problem never happens. I never know ahead of time when it will though. The other day in my driveway the engine kept killing and wouldn't even idle after just a short drive. It seemed to do this more when I had it in reverse as opposed to first gear. I've had the carb tuned and adjusted, front float adjusted and a new power valve and needle and seat installed.
I've been told that the valves might be too tight and that this would cause the engine to not idle right and that they should be adjusted. The car seems to run fine under acceleration and holding a steady speed; it just won't keep the idle up where it should be. I am not experienced enough myself to diagnose correctly this problem and unfortunately haven't been able to find a mechanic that can either.
What do you guys think? Any ideas or other things I should try or look into? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 06:41 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Dropping Engine RPM's and Stalling

Could be almost anything. Try these before pulling out your hair or chasing your tail...too much
Factory ignition? Whats the dwell? Points in good or pitted shape? Dizzy cap tight not cracked, plug wires tight and right?

Vacuum leaks if you have RD headlights or power brake issues.

Fuel filter clean? Trash or sludge in the fuel tank blocking flow.

Cowl induction air cleaner filter clean, housing clear of Mice condos? (don't laugh been there twice).

battery fully charged and Voltage Regulator and Alternator in good working order?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 12, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

I had a similar problem, car ran great at start. When it got warmed up, exact same symptoms. I adjusted the valves as described in the CRG for the 302, problem solved. She now idles all day long at 950. The article calls for .026", I adjusted mine to a tight .030". In my case, .030" makes it run very nice.

http://www.camaros.org/302valves.shtml

alan

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 12, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vince

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'll check each of these suggestions and let you know what happens. It might take awhile to get them all done.
I'm familiar with the CRG; I actually printed out their instructions for adjusting the valves on a 302 awhile back. Now might be the time to use them. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode