Overheating problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 02, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1989 Chevy Camaro RS with a 5.0 L 305 and it has a Throttle Body...I have a BRAND NEW RADIATOR, New Delco Thermostat, and no leaks and it heats up when I drive for extended periods...what else could I have covered in the cooling system, that would allow it to still overheat...I recently put in another fan, it does not seem to blow hard enough...but still comes on...any other ideas, Can the Water Pump be bad if it is not leaking...I love this car but it is seriously starting to be a pain in my A##! But thats a Camaro for you LOL...any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 02, 04:48 PM

I'm not certain, but I believe this model camaro had the air dam underneath the front of the car to direct air flow up into the front of the radiator. It is a crucial element in keeping your engine cool, but is easily knocked off/snapped off due to low ground clearance. Look under the front of your car and you should see it sticking down. If this is the problem, get a new one from GM, you won't believe the difference it makes.....Scott
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 02, 02:46 AM
Tech Team

Have you given thought to the possibility that water jackets in your engine may not be flowing fully because of blockage? If you don't know the complete history of the car and the engine has a lot of miles and the cooling system has been neglected, then this could definitely be the case.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 02, 08:45 AM

There is a first step in looking at this problem ... is it getting hot when you are in traffic and/or idling? If so, it is one set of problems.

Or ... does it get hot all the time? Idling, traffic driving or highway at 50 mph or over. If this is the case, different problems.

Which is it?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 02, 10:02 AM

You know what, I've been having that same damn problem. I have an '89 RS V8 305, and I have pumped so much money into that car. I've changed out everything that has to do with the cooling system: sensors, switches, hoses, you name it. I've had the radiator flushed a couple of times. I've changed the fan motor. The car continues to run hot, and it doesn't matter if I'm iddling or driving.

So when you figure out what's wrong with your car, please let me know!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech

Make sure you have the right wattage fan motor. GM makes several and you may have gotten the wrong one. On cars with two fans the secondary fan is a lower wattage and will not cool the car should the primary fail in extreme conditions/temperatures.
Make sure your coolant temperature sensor is reading acurately (really need a scanner to see this).

------------------
Drew

69' X-11 350, Turbo 350, Factory Air, PS, PB, 12 Bolt (410 gear) & NOT AN SS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Hey There guys....I changed my radiator and Thermostat and Electric fan, The Key to doing this stuff correctly is DELCO product...Autozone stuff is not always the right stuff, you get what you pay for. Thank you for making this board available to me and the help...signed Thankful in Flint
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Hey Keshia, Like he said, abouve, make sure that black lower rocker panel is still attached underneath the ground effects, it seriously does make a big difference it cools the engine. Now my car is running cooler than ever, make sure your fan is mounted right too that is a big part of it....I would say to check and make sure your gages are correctly working...my gages float all over the place... other than that I would say to run the car (WHEN IT IS COOL) squeeze the radiator hoses with the cap off, sometimes when you do stuff to the radiator you get air in the hoses and what not and it can cause a problem, make sure you run the car for a minute with the radiator cap off and squeeze the hoses...it can make a difference....Take Care and the best of luck, Ty
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 02, 08:49 AM

You know what, that cover is not attached to my car. It came off months ago. My car was scraping the ground so much that it came off. I don't even know what I did with that thing. I can go to a junkyard and get one though, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode