70 Camaro alternator not charging battery - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 12, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

70 Camaro alternator not charging battery

1970 camaro rs 350 engine,

battery keeps going completly dead, only running on battery basically, started the car did the poor mans check and disconnected the negative cable the car died out and didnt stary on,

took the altenator to auto zone they said its good, it has an internal voltage regulator however i only have 1 wire connected to the back of it no plug, and i dont see a big voltage regulator like i do on my 68, thus i think i all i have is a horn relay on the firewall,

if im indeed missing the plug if i bought a plug where would the 2 wires coming from the alterator go to?

only issue is i have been driving it 60 miles a day rd trip to work for 4-5 days so if it were running off of just battery surely she wouldnt have lasted, thus im thinking that the alterantor is bad... more than a 1 wire or a plug configuration,.

unless the horn relaay is a voltage regulator or im not looking for it in the right place, if the alt is good and not charging the battery than it would have to be a voltage regulator off the firwall or around the lights or something,

just exactly how do 1 wire alteranators work if you dont have a plug to it just a wire running from the back that says battery to the nagative top post?

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 12, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 70 Camaro alternator not charging battery

Your post reads like a PO swapped in a 1-wire alternator.
However, if the store tested it, they may have hooked it up as a regular 3-wire alt and made it work.
One way to find out, hook up a pair of jumpers as follows:
Alt #2 should be a 12GA wire from the BATT spade at the fuse panel for voltage sensing..
Alt #1 should be a min 14GA wire, you can use the rest of the 12GA wire from #2, from an ign controlled source to excite the alt.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode