Strong Gas Smell when Parked - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Strong Gas Smell when Parked

Luckily the wife is away for the weekend, otherwise, she'd be really upset about the fuel smell...I'm not real happy about it myself...

My setup is a 68 camaro, 502 crate motor, can only run an electric fuel pump...I have an HP-125 feeding braided & steel lines to Holley 870 carb, no return line to tank. I did have to replace the leaky fuel pump about a month ago, which is the subject of a whole other thread...

It's been fine since I replaced the fuel pump, no odor of gas when I park it in the garage, tank about half full. (It's an integral garage, by the way - so I have no easy parking alternative...)

Went for a ride last nite, filled 'er up - I think all the way to the top (but it didn't backflow), rode a little more and probably used about a gallon. I get home and park it, about an hour later, the dang garage stank like gas.

No visible leaks or drips...I checked the line from the tank to the carb. The fuel pump isn't leaking either.

This morning garage STILL stank like gas. I aired it out and took the air cleaner off and the choke plate was partially open - could that have anything to do with it?? I don't think the filler cap on the tank is vented, but I didn't think to check that before I left the house this morning.

Appreciate any thoughts.

'68 Camaro 502

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bust a knuckle? Rub dirt in it and take a lap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 07:12 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Strong Gas Smell when Parked

If you do a search on braided fuel lines they can deteriorate enough to allow the fumes out but not the gas(especially with ethanol gas). The other thing you may want to check is sometimes the sending unit o-ring will go bad. You said you filled the tank so when the gas would leak from the unit it would be on top of the tank. Crawl under the car and sometimes you can see a a line of a drip in the front middle of the tank. I went crazy trying to find the gas smell source on mine turned out to be the lawn mower lol. Good luck
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Thanks - I just had the sending unit replaced in the spring of 2012...I'll crawl under the car and check the o-ring.

As for the braided lines, I have a mixture on the car:
- Rubber from the tank to the pump (which of course is close to the tank)
- Braided to the fuel filter next to the pump
- A section of blue rubber from the filter to the steel line on the body
- Steel to the engine compartment
- Braided line from bottom of engine compartment to carb

There wasn't a smell until I filled 'er up last night and ran it for a while...I'm starting to get paranoid now

'68 Camaro 502

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
mike

It is frustrating I hate that smell, some like the smell of gas not me. I do not fill my tank to the top any more for some reason I do get the smell when I fill it up all the way to the top. Not sure if it splashes and gets through the o-ring or hits the cap and seeps there. Still I guess having an old car in the garage with a gas smell is better then not having an old car in the garage.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

I'm not ruling out your suggestions but I'm leaning toward the fact I filled it up pretty full last night...I put 10 gal in (cost me $41.00!!) and there was probably 5 gal or so already in the tank. I think it's a 16 gal tank.

I'm at work right now and I was getting paranoid enough to possibly run home and climb under the car and check the o-ring and smell every braided inch of hose up close, but I don't have enough time for that.

I know the feeling...I love having this car but hate some of the $&#$!! problems I run into with it.

'68 Camaro 502

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

What kind of gas cap do you have ?

I had a similar "smell" in the garage only with a full tank of fuel. It turned out that my filler cap was not sealing good enough. Had one of those snap in locking caps with the bowtie. Bought a new filler neck and a RS twist in type and the smell went away.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

This kind - I tried to paste an image but I don't think it worked, so here's the link:
http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-g...1967-1968.html
It's cocked to the passenger side when fully twisted on, so I may have to adjust the cap stops. But I can't remember whether it's vented or not.

I'm not ruling anything out with the lines or o-rings, but I'm guessing it's related to filling up the tank because I wasn't smelling gas stank when it was only half full just yesterday.

'68 Camaro 502

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Cheap way to check siphon a few gallons out into a gas can and see if the smell goes away. I have had the same problem if I fill mine up real full and park it.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

I was actually thinking about doing that as soon as I get home...I have a couple empty 5 gal cans.

But there's a big car show tonight about 8 miles from me that I was planning to go to, so I'll probably burn half a tank getting there and back, anyway!!

'68 Camaro 502

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Andy - by the way, I watched you video - 9.6!! holy shmokes! Awesome!

'68 Camaro 502

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Yeah Brian drive to the car show and you should be low enough to know.
Thanks I built the motor to run a 10.0 index class and had a heck of a time slowing it down!

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 12, 05:44 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

The gas smell is usually due to no fuel return line.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

UPDATE: Strong Gas Smell when Parked

Drove it down to 3/4 tank and guess what, odor went away.

I also fiddled with the gas cap which - while it isn't "loose" as in jiggling around in the neck - it ain't exactly the tightest seal I've ever seen. Or smelled.

I saw the post about the return line, maybe I'll look into that. Until then, my solution is not to fill it above 3/4 tank.

Thanks everyone!

'68 Camaro 502

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 12, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
mike

That is what I do to. lol
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 12, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You also might check the filler hose behind the license plate.
The gas cap should vent in one direction - allow air into the tank only.
You should also see an indentation of the filler tube to the cap gasket.
As suggested, it does not take much fuel to generate fumes as the fuel evaporates.
Either fuel is coming from the sending unit, or its O-ring, or the filler tube, since it only smells when full.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel, gas, odor, smell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode