Rear Lights dont work ONLY when i brake.. - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ah the problems never stop. Oh well.. one small problem at a time. Well i decided to go ahead and do some wire splicing cause my brake light left-inner socket wasnt working... well i unspliced that wire.. then went ahead and respliced..
Now on to the bad news..

First wire splice i guess i didnt put the right wires together cause the lights didnt work at all except for the turn signals.. onto the next one... well i respliced them again, this time correctly..(so i thought).. well they work now in EVERY circumstance.. EXCEPT when i press the brake.. well whoopdidy dooo! All the lights turn on now.. blinker works and night lights work but if i press the brake at any time even with the blinker on it wont register it in my rear lights?

Oh what to do, what to do..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
When a side is blinking, that side selected to blink will not have brake light working.

But, other side brake light should work.

When turn signals are selected, brake lights and tail lights do not work for selected side.

Everett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 02:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

I was having some problems during the resto work 'till I ordered my wiring diagram for $6 from Rick's. Those are the best spent few bucks, a little difficult to understand at first but nothing that can't be deciphered with some patience. Try to follow the color codes in the wires and check the ground ones.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 02, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

when i said the side would blink i was just trying to tell ya that the lights do work.. it just wont show when i push the brake pedals.. as for the diagram the person who put the previous harness together didnt go by the right color codes as the wires are all not the same colors..

the prob is that it DID work before i did the wire splicing.. yet after i put it back to the way i did it before it still doesnt work right.. so now im stuck where im trying to troubleshoot why the brake lights dont come on when i press the brakes.. ?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
You might start by checking the fuse at the fuse block on the firewall above the left foot.

However, you said the turn signals work. This is good. But, no brake lights. They both use the same bulb filament. Might have a bad brake pedal switch.

If it worked before, carefully think what you did and go back over your steps of repair.

Everett
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 01:10 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
try running a temporary ground wire from the tail light bezal to a spot in the trunk. I had an intermintant problem with same thing. ended up being a bad ground.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 02:48 AM
Senior Tech

Doug, is on the right track sounds like the lights are using the filament to pass ground current. When you step on the brakes the current overpowers the ground . I would start there!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 04:59 AM

The bulb sockets are notorious for having bad ground connections. The idea is that the metal contact on the sides of the socket are supposed to complete the ground by touching the metal of the light housing. Sadly, both get a bit corroded and then there is a bad ground and the behavior you spoke of is the result. Take a little sandpaper, sand the corrosion off and also make sure that the bulb socket fits tightly into the light housing.

Ed
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks guys! ill give it a try.. im hoping that is what the problem is
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Take the bulbs out and go to the point where you respliced the wires. Take a voltmeter and go to ground with one lead and probe each of the wires coming to the splice point while you have someone step on the brake pedal. See if you are getting 12v to that point. Like said above, check the fuse and tag all the wires when you figure them out.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode