Blown up 2_8 liter - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I bought a 1984 camaro 2 years ago with a susposedly rebuilt motor. It contained a little v6 2.8 liter, after racing some one down the bypass, I noticed sort of a mean sound, thinking it was exaust I kept on it on my way out of town. 2 miles down the road a friend in the car began to asure me it was just exaust and that the motor was fine, with his assurance I put her to the rugs, and the engine made one the largest sounds I've ever heard in my life,(with a feel like the motor literally busted motor mounts) as I watched my oil pressure gauge drop to 0 and a my RPM gauge to a complete 0, with lots of blue smoke rolling out. In the past I have had alot of problems with the starter, and also had a slight knock ever since I bought the car. I was wondering if anyone knows from past expierences what went wrong with this beastly v-6, I don't have the time to disect it, I have a built 327 in the shop just waiting to be dropped into it, seeing as in 84 they ran 700-r4 trannys in all models and it will bolt up, just need a new bellhousing.
A very reliable source told me it was the crank shaft, but how ever I believe that it was a rod, or perhaps a wrist pin let, I"m not sure just was hoping some one would have a comment upon this occurance. This is bothering the heck out of me, with school and work I just want to know what happened but I don't have the time to tear down the block, find the problem, and then take a sludge to the block after unbolting the tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 09:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Wink

Hmmmmm..... "Mean sound" followed by "large noise" and no oil pressure!!! IMHO you tossed a rod!!

------------------
Mighty Mouse
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds like a rod to me too.

By the way, "beastly" and "v-6" arent normally used in the same sentence

Just giving you a hard time.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech

If I am not mistaken, the trans in the car has a one piece bellhousing and you will not be able to change the bellhousing, you will need a complete tranny. A good t350 will do the trick.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I beleave most six cylinder cars with 700r4's had the dual pattern bellhousing, so your 327 should fit fine.

As far as the motor goes loud noises usaully mean the end of the line. You could drain the oil and see how many chunks of metal come out.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 01, 03:02 PM
Bill

Pos (???)
The 2.8 Trans is a totally different bolt pattern than the V-8s You will have to get another trans in order to install the V-8
Also, depending on where you live....this swap is illegal as far as emmisions regulations go. If you have to pass the IM240 test, you will not make it. In Maryland, and most other states as far as I know, you cannot do this type of swap and still passs the visual part of the emmisions test.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode