Missing all the time - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 03, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, please give me a hand if you can. I'm not familiar with Camaros, so bear with me. My brother has a 92 RS with the 302 TBI engine. He's not too mechanical, and called me in to help him out.

When starting, the engine fires right away. Revs up to 1500 and them goes to settle to idle. Right there (engine has only been running for 2 or 3 seconds at this point), it starts to "chug", almost like only half the engine is running. If I press the accelerator, half the time it just dies out, the rest of the time the RPMs will go up, but very slowly and roughly, still chugging. The exhaust stinks like it's running rich, and thanks to a fresh snow, I can see that black soot is coming out.

Looking at the engine, all the obvious things are right. No obvious vacuum leaks; all connectors are tight; wires, cap and rotor are not brand new, but still servicable looking.

This problem came up suddenly- one day it worked, next day it didn't. What's got me confused is that the engine runs OK for those few seconds. I'm guessing that some sensor or something has taken a crap, that the computer doesn't pay attention too for the first few seconds. But maybe I'm going down the wrong path...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like something is causing misfire. Have any plug wires been swapped. Acutally it sounds more like feul loading causing a weak plug or ignition circuit not to fire. I'd pull the plugs and see if any of them are wet and sooty. Might also do an inspection with the engine running in the dark to look for sparklies. A wooden stick comes in handy to fuss around with the wires so you don't get your shoes blown off.

-dnult
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 03, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Try replacing the MAP sensor.

Without properly scanning it, it's an easy, cheap test.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 03, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech

make sure all the plug wires are snapped onto both the cap and plug, and double check that they go to the right plugs. numbers 5&7 (the back two on the driver's side) fire one after the other, and are easy to mix up. pull the cap off and see how everything looks. check the plugs, as already stated. look for any loose/missing vacuum hoses. essentially, look for anything out of the ordinary. start it without an air cleaner on it, and watch how the fuel comes out of the injector- it should be pretty much invisible to the naked eye.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 03, 11:04 PM
Senior Tech

Those 2-3 seconds at start up. Isn't it seposed to be like 10-15 seconds. Ask him if there was a change in higher rev warm up. It might be the fuel pump.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 07:09 AM
David Pozzi

Put a new fuel filter on it. Might not be the problem, but just to be sure before looking elsewhere...

David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I think it's a fuel problem.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 03, 08:34 PM
Senior Tech

Hey don't forget to pay all of us the $100 diagnostic fee with state taxes if applicable. Ya R&R the fuel filters first. Do an injector cleaner bottle also. Good luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 03, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech
J

Does it get any better when the engine warms up or is it like that all the time?

Need a little more info to help troubleshoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode