94 3.4 L Missing Out and Backfiring - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Here is my situation: 94 3.4L Camaro, 150K miles... The car had developed a major bog down and a little backfire upon acceleration. Fuel filter, plugs and wires were all changed in late November. This provided a slight improvement, then the Service Engine light came on. I had a friend check this on his computer, and it indicated a problem with EGR Solenoid 3. I changed the EGR valve, but shortly after, the service engine light started coming on again. The light comes on after the car is a little warm, ususally after 10-15 minutes of driving. The light comes on like clockwork. I still have a backfire when I accelerate, a gasoline smell, and I can hear the engine missing on at least one cylinder. Any suggestions? All help is appreciated, no matter how basic it may seem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 16th, 01, 07:30 PM

Question

when you changed egr did that help? have you checked codes since then? you say the code indicated a egr solinoid did you replace that or just the valve?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 01, 02:30 AM

Check your fuel pressure. It sounds lean to me. Ray

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 01, 12:06 PM

I Have been having cooling problems with my 84, thinking that it might be that the timming was advance too far I made adjustments `on the fly' driving a block, adjust, drive a block... On of those adjustments I made had the same reaction that your car is doing, sputter, pop and stall. Check the timing...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 01, 02:51 PM

Have your friend check all the components with the computer. Sometimes when the EGR goes bad it'll foul the 02, then it'll most likely start reading Rich when the motor isn't running rich, take away air and then the motor's running lean or the EGR port was clogged making the computer think the EGR was bad. Theres 100 differen't things that could cause this problem with a computer controled car, just hook a good scanner up to it and check everything out.

------------------
Chris Rose
1981 Chevy Camaro
355ci 2 barrel carb
http://www.geocities.com/camaro81rk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 18th, 01, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure that the EGR was fouled anyway... Today I changed the ignition control module, and the backfiring has stopped and it is no longer missing out, but the SES light is still coming on. In the past couple of weeks, however, I have noticed a noise like a tapping in the engine compartment which leads me to believe that it is either a worn timing chain, or a bad bearing in the water pump...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help, guys... I replaced the Ignition module and the two oxygen sensors. . .Problem solved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode