Driveline Vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Driveline Vibration

First a little history: I've owned this 68 Camaro for 25 years. For most of it, I've had a vibration above 55 mph. Don't remember when it started. It starts at 55mph and comes and goes. The car was originally a 6 cyl p/g. The vibration is still there after the following:

- changed engine to 327V8 everything new in subframe (body mounts, front suspension, motor mounts etc.)
- rebuilt rear diff - new everything including changing gears from 2:73 to 3:36 new bushings, bolts, nuts, shackles but original springs
- Balanced original driveshaft (added 1.25 oz. I think)
- new trans mount (original was shot, but I think the vibration ruined the mount, not the ruined mount caused the vibration)
- wheels & tires were spin-balanced & static balanced
- pinion angles look good - checked with angle finder - trans & diff at approx. 87*

Flex plate, torque converter, and trans are original. I have some play between the trans and the driveshaft and the seal seems to be leaking (spraying trans fluid on the tunnel)

I suspect the tailstock bushing/driveshaft yolk or flex plate/torque converter, anyone got any advice?

Thanks, Steve

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech
wayne

Re: Driveline Vibration

know anyone with a set of rims/tires that you can borrow for a short drive?
I had a set of cragars on my 68 that the stud holes had worn and I could not get a balance to work at both low and high speeds. It was one or the other. Changing the rims solved the issue
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

Have you check you u-joint angles? If they are too far out of spec you can get a vibration.

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 12, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Going on from Waynes comments
If have after market rims, and drums, check that a rim is not sitting on slightly on one of the balance tags on the drum...
Check the balance tag is on the drum
And no paint between the rim and steel of the drum where it bolts up.
If have sloted rims ... use orginal tapered end stud bolts , tighten each a litle by little by hand with a slight knick up so the holes center on the bolt tapers... then remove each one , 1 ata time and replaced , torque up with the correct matching to rim bolts and washes.
If cragers , use the correct carger washers and bolts.

oops 1st question is the vibration in the steering wheel , or feel it in your feet or in the base /back of the seat?,, that will tell if front suspection or rear.

Quote:
I suspect the tailstock bushing/driveshaft yolk or flex plate/torque converter, anyone got any advice?
If not in the steering wheel yes those are a good possilty...u meantioned new engine. So did these get replaced or still orginal?
Do they still have their balancing tags on them....I assume thenew engine was not dynamically balance from the harmonic balancer bolt thru to the flex and torque convertor....
Quote:
driveshaft yolk
Bit confused here.. u got the new Driveshaft balanced...that should have bee done with the new yoke and the universal joints all together?????

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode