69 front directional/parking lights - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I have been having a problem with the front directionals on my 69 SS. Specifically, my directionals and 4-ways work when the head lights and parking light are not on, when turned on the front directionals and 4-ways do not work they stay on constantly - no breaks. The rear works as it should. I have replaced the flasher, lamps in both units, and the head light switch. Using a test light I have found that from the harness GM connector, where the parking light assemblies plug into works fine on both sides. So I am thinking a ground with in the parking light assemblies themselves???

Any thoughts???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 02, 10:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I believe you are on the right path with the ground (or lack of same) theory, I recently ran into this on another vehicle.
I ran a temporary ground to the bases using jumper wires with aligator clips and the signals worked normally. I then cleaned all the base connections and ran a small wire to the chassis from the rad. support in an area you can not see from above (to maintain that "stock" look). The owner thought the headlights were brighter after I finished also.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 03:37 AM
Senior Tech

It would be suggested that you post your question in only one forum, When you post the same question in different forums, some one may duplicate an answer.
As well if you choose the forum that fits your question you are bound to get an expert answer.
As an example the performance forum does not interest me I go there last if time permits, I enjoy the electric and trouble shooting forums, and usally start with them.
I see that this is one of your first post at this forum, and this is only some helpful hints for the future.
Rob

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 04:09 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I had a similar problem when I first got my car. Its a 69 and the front park/turn signal lamp housings were not tight (loose nuts to the body) and since the ground is provided through the housing, the turn signals and flashers acted wierd. Also check to see if you have 2 flashers. Mine does 1 at the fuse block and 1 in a holder under the dash. Good luck.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

[This message has been edited by HOTROD69CAMARO (edited 04-10-2002).]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 02, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the ideas. I played with it some more last night, found out that the wires which go to the GM style factory connector that come off the wire harness are loose. Since this is a 3 wire from the harness into the socket and 2 wire plug to the parking lamp (both lamp wires are hot, one is for light the other directional/flasher 4-ways) there is no way to cut the clip out. or is there an easier fix???

Also..Sorry for the multi posts, I am a new member. I realized after posting on "electrical" that this is really a trouble shooting question...I did not know how to erase the other. :0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode