Running hot - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 1992 RS with a stock 305 V8. I have flushed then re-cored the radiator, replaced the thermostat, replaced the lower radiator hose, replaced the heater core, replaced all heater hoses, checked the fan, and replaced the water pump. It still runs hot. Any ideas what to check next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech

Have your timing checked. KZ
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 06:27 AM
Dee

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lori:
I have a 1992 RS with a stock 305 V8. I have flushed then re-cored the radiator, replaced the thermostat, replaced the lower radiator hose, replaced the heater core, replaced all heater hoses, checked the fan, and replaced the water pump. It still runs hot. Any ideas what to check next?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 06:31 AM
Dee

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dee:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a manual fan installed as in mine the fan is working but doesn"t run enough to keep the engine cool.This way you can turn it on when you see the temperature gauge climbing!
Apparently nothing wrong in my car either but it still overheats especially when idling for a very short time.So after checking all the same parts you did and changing them all this worked! Goood Luck

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Here's the thing! It overheats only when the car is moving! If it sits idle, it won't overheat. It hardly even runs hot when it's idle - maybe ten to fifteen degrees more than normal.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Hi Lori.
Here is my dumb question for the day. Have you taken it to the dealer to compare actual temperature to what the guage is reading. I have had several in the past (92s) that were reading incorrectly by 10-15 degrees.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

No, I haven't taken it to the dealer to verify the actual temperature. But, that's because if the water in the reserve tank is boiling, it has to be too hot! It only overheats when I drive over 45 mph when the outside temperature is 85+ degrees. It never overheats when it is idle.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

It just dawned on me. Is your air dam missing underneath? This will be the problem if it is missing. Usually everyone scrapes this off on a curb, I have done that before.
It diverts the air up into the radiator. When your traveling at speed, no air will get in.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 00, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

Guy you have a good point there but, I'm a gonna ask another dumb question. Did ya change the radiator cap when you changed everything else ?

71 Camairo

[This message has been edited by 71 Camairo (edited 04-19-2000).]
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 00, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

I thought of the air dam, too. I had taken mine off due to some damage. I replaced it soon after I started having these overheating problems. Even after replacing the air dam, it is still running hot. And, yes, I did replace the radiator cap when I had the radiator re-cored. What are the chances that a water jacket is clogged? This is certainly not my area of expertise! So, I don't even know if that is a logical question. And, to add further to the discussion, running the AC makes it overheat much faster. Running with the heater as high as it will go helps to a certain degree. But, that is not a viable solution for the hot, humid summers here in the south!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 00, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

The only other suggestion is to do what KZ suggested and have your timing checked.

71 Camairo
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 00, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Is that an electric fan or does it have a fan clutch? The clutches go bad.

------------------
67 410sb 11.63 @117.6
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 00, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Yes Lonnie...but if it were the fan clutch...it would REALLY overheat at idle.

I would agree that you should have the timing checked. Does the motor "knock" or "ping"?

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---&gt; www.mindspring.com/~mccorry
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 00, 06:27 PM
David Pozzi

Is the fan running the right way, pulling the air thru the radiator? It's just a DC motor, if the wires got reversed....

Got the right water pump for your serpentine belt system" I think some of the systems run the water pump backwards and take a different impeller. I think it's just the vette system.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 00, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

The fan is electric. It checked out OK. It's pulling air in the right direction. I have considered adding a toggle switch to it just so that I can turn it on at all times if I so choose. But, the only benefit I see in that is that it would help to keep the car cool when it's idling. It doesn't make much sense to me to do that since the car doesn't actually overheat until the car is moving at a higher rate of speed in warmer weather. It runs a little warm when idling, but nowhere near the point of overheating.

The water pump is the right one. Actually, I think the one that I had on there to begin with was still good. I was just concerned that it might not be pumping enough water to the motor. So, I replaced it since it was a fairly simple task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode