Died and won't start - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 12, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Send a message via AIM to jims69camaro Send a message via MSN to jims69camaro Send a message via Yahoo to jims69camaro
Died and won't start

i had an interesting time this morning. coming back from spending time with my lady. i had just gassed up (don't ever fill it because i am getting slosh out the top of the filler neck). it just stopped running while heading down the highway.

i replaced the HEI with MSD's digital distributor. i replaced the battery with an Optima. i replaced the fuel pump last year along with the lines from the pump to the filter and then on to the carb. i rebuilt the carb several years ago. i checked all of the spark plug wires and cannot find a guilty, burned culprit. i can honestly say i've never run into this before.

my car is a '69 with the original 307 motor (swapped heads and cam). just about everything else mechanical is thought to be original equipment. it turns over but will not catch. plenty of fuel making it to the carb (i have one of those clear plastic filter housings, and visually checked the carb). ideas?

In just one year, the expenditure of the US's military budget is equivalent to the entire 50-year running budget of NASA combined. -- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 12, 06:04 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Died and won't start

Always better to start a new thread instead of hi-jacking someone elses, especially when trouble shooting a problem.

On to your problem, can you provode what you did before the engine just stopped running and then what you have done since to try to trouble shoot the issue.

It takes fuel and spark for the engine to run, if you have fuel at the carb start looking at the electrical side of this... If it cranks over you have a good batt and starter, check to see you have batt at the + side of the coil with the key on, then make sure the coil is sparking and then that the dist is sending spark to the plugs...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 12, 08:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

You might go to MSD's website and see if there is anything in there tech department on troubleshooting their distributor.

If you have the HEI you replaced you might swap it to see if it will run.

MSD's distributor aren't what they used to be. That is all I run but I have had problems with them.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 12, 06:08 AM
Guess

Quick check is to pull a spark plug (put the wire back on it) and have someone crank the engine. Hold the threaded portion against some bare metal. If the spark plug 'sparks', you're good there. Try a couple of them.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 12, 12:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

I recently experienced the same problem, I live in Las Vegas, NV and decided to take my 68 Camaro Coupe with a 350 in it on a drive to Pahrump, NV, 60 miles West of Vegas, Coupe ran fine to Pahrump, and return to Vegas, I decided to drive down the World Famous Las Vegas Strip on the way home, about 4 miles from leaving the Strip, the Coupe made a very loud backfire and quit running, I got out of the car and looked under it to see if any thing was leaking, which there was no leaks, Got back in the Car and it started right up, drove it another 3-4 miles and it stared cutting out and quit running and would turn over and not start. Was Stranded, called AAA Emergency Road Side Service, and within 30 minutes a flat bed showed up, loaded the camaro on the truck and transported it home and put in the shop. Would still not start. Took 6 days to get the mechanic I take it to, to find the problem. It was getting Gas, but no spark, had a MSD Distributor, he found who ever installed the Distributor failed to hook up the ground metal strap in the distributor, and said the coil was fried, ordered and waited on the new coil to be delivered, Mechanic installed the Coil, and it still would not start, did a little further checking and found the complete MSD distributor was fried. Ordered a new MSD distributor that cost $162.14 plus $130.00 Mechanics labor which is a total of $292.14, Six day's waiting time, Two Flatbed Tows, after installing the new MSD Distributor, the Coupe started right up, runs fine, and drove it home.....Point being, who would have thought the Distributor had fried. Live and learn. I have no idea if checking your distributor and possibly finding a problem there would cure your starting problem, but you might check yours, Worked in my case, good luck getting your starting problem solved..........Max in Las Vegas, NV
Would like to hear from you with a private message, to hear what you found was the problem.................
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 12, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Squirt of engine start down the carb... fires .. fuel no fire electical.
If fuel one usually get some sort of half a55 firing...
Quote:
i replaced the HEI with MSD's digital distributor
I keep my old dizzies...HEI and the pionts, HT leads complete setup as a back up....
Quick swap ready to go.
The GM Hei , even the pionts dizzies are some of the most reliable units around...
I dont get it ... GM fans right off factory stuff, pionts HEI, radiators , clutch fans etc...and call themselves a GM fan....
Im a GM fan , be it American or Aussie Holden or Sth Afican Chev...because the factory got it right and it still is 50 yrs on.
The got the 1st gen seats wrong thu.lol

If the MSD dump it and if street car drop a pionts or HEI in

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode