Water neck leak - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I have a chrome O-ring water neck that has been replaced twice. I have cleaned the manifold untill there is no gasket sealer, made sure manifold was level, scuffed the new water neck underneath in hopes to get a better seal, placed a nice thin bead of gasket sealer ....still I have a leak in the rear part of the water neck. Any suggestions on how to keep this from leaking? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 03:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

The o-ring thermostat housings are a great idea, but they are usually badly cast or machined parts. I finally got sick of the leak on mine and replaced it with a good-ol GM gasketed housing.How often are you really gonna need to remove the t-stat anyway??

Paul D.

68RS/Z28 Klone, Long rod 357 , T-56, 3.89 9"
Move with direction or lose your direction!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 08:08 AM

Have you checked to see that the surface of the waterneck is true? And, have you checked to see that the mounting surface on the manifold is true? If either one is off, the water pressure will find the weak spot and cause the leak. I have used o-ring seal water necks on my 69 and 75 and have never had a leak.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Make sure that the o-ring doesn't have any cuts in it. Also make sure that the groove that the o-ring sits in is perfectly clean. I had one leak because of a very small cut in the o-ring that I overlooked. Hope this helps.

Jim & Yvonne
1968 Camaro
468 BBC, Turbo 400, 4.10 12 Bolt.

2010 Camaro SS/RS, Black on Black Leather

2008 GMC Crew Cab 4x4, LMM Duramax, Allison 6 Speed,
6" Cognito Lift, 35" Nitto's
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 10:02 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Replace the o-ring neck with a stock style cast neck and get a GM gasket with the blue ring built into it. No sealer, clean level surfaces and bolt it on... No leaks!!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I had a similar problem with my "O" ring, so I smoothed both the neck and the manifold with a flat file. Seemed to work good. No more leaks. Rhat
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 03, 02:28 PM
Team Member
John

I always "true up" a stock thermostat housing on a piece of emery paper laid on a piece of glass; several swipes back and forth, and the pattern will tell you immediately if it's flat or not (many aren't). If not, keep working at it until it's flat. I use the blue Fel-Pro molded plastic gasket with the molded-in silicone rib seal - never had a leaker. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 05:08 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
John - do you have the fel-pro part number? I've been getting the ones I use from a local corvette shop that said they are GM gaskets. Local Kragan and such don't know what I'm asking for and it's always turned out to be late Sat or Sun when I find myself needing one so I haven't had the chance to at at the Chevy parts counter...

TIA,

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 08:09 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

There are several problems to look at with oring sealing surfaces. First with an oring installation it is not critical how true the surface is except to the point of making sure that there is not metal to metal contact before the oring is fully compressed. It's not like a standard water neck installation, the oring is doing the sealing, not the water neck to manifold contact. In fact if you have waterneck to manifold metal to metal contact you are compromising your seal at your oring as it is not being loaded because you are distributing the load in the wrong place, should be metal rubber metal, not metal on metal. Second make sure the oring is the proper size and made of material compatible with antifreeze, orings are designed to be used with very specific fluids and temperature ranges. Third make sure the oring when sitting in the groove is of adequate cross sectional thickness to protrude significantly from it's oring groove, this will guarantee it's contact and proper compression when mating the water neck to the manifold. Also make sure the oring isn't rolled and most importantly that the entire groove the oring sits in is clean, true and free of even a MINOR scratch. One small insignificant looking scratch in the groove and it will leak. Never reuse an oring, they are designed to take a set and will cold flow to fill the groove when under compression.

Finally many automotive orings lack the quality controls of their aerospace counterparts. I've found many automotive orings with flashing at the seams where they were molded, I've never seen this on any aerospace orings that I work with daily.

Personally I'd toss the chrome water neck, but it should be able to seal if you make sure all the above are checked.

Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 03, 09:30 AM

Try using the new FelPro "Blue" gaskets. they are a little more expensive but you can reuse them they cost about $7 bucks at auto zone but you can tighten them as much as you want. They are made of a polyurethane plastic and have the seal already in them. I have had no probs. with crome necks and them sealing after i used the felpro blue gaskets [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode