Dakota Digital Dash – Speedo showing 87mph at idle - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Angry Dakota Digital Dash – Speedo showing 87mph at idle

I have a Dakota Digital Dash in my recently acquired 72. The speedo works fine and accurate when the car is moving. The speedo will come down to 0 mph when I come to a stoplight but then will jump to 87 mph or so while I sit there and wait for the light to change. As soon as I get moving again the speedo starts showing accurate mph. I also noticed that 87 mph while sitting does go up if I rev the motor and back down to 87 mph as the revs drop back to idle. I really didn’t mind this little side “feature” until I noticed that my odometer is going up while I sit at a light! Odometer thinks the car is going 87 mph so it’s clocking miles, up to 3-4 miles on a long light! Now, that’s very annoying and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Any ideas?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 09:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Re: Dakota Digital Dash – Speedo showing 87mph at idle

Might have a short somewhere.

I would check with the company. Here is the link to their site. Toll free number listed on the left side, toward bottom.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm

This might be a known issue, so give them a call.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Just called Dakota support. They told me that this appears to be a clear case of electrical interference. I should start by tracing the speedo sensor wire from the transmission back to the gauge and make sure the wire is not routed over electrical components like the coil, etc.

Matt

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech

i had a set of those gauges in my 34 street rod.they were the biggest piece of crap i have ever seen.i was always sending the main control box back in for repair.they were always either sticking or getting out of calibration.the good thing is my set was sent in they charged me 40.00 to fix them,then they register them in your name & from then on they fix them for free.if the box gets the least bit wet or damp they will mess up.look up Dakota digital & call them & tell them what problems you are having,may be a simple fix that you can do.could be a ground.my biggest peeve is you will have to send the complete set of gauges & the brain box in.this will most likely cost 25.00-30.00 to send it all back they pay shipping back..be sure to send it all back including the brain box as well as all gauges.all this stuff i'm telling you was the way it was 8 years ago.may be different now.i wish you luck.turn around time on getting them back was 3-4 weeks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 10:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

I have Dakota Digital gauges in my 68 (installed by previous owner 2 weeks before I bought the car) and they work fine for me. Have never had any issues. At some point they are going to be taken out and the originals are going back in.

Good luck Matt. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You might be able to go buy a little choke at Radio Shack just to see if it does anything. Pull the sender wires off at the speedo, wrap through the choke, and reinstall.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

What is a little choke?

Matt

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 07:41 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
What is a little choke?

Typically a ferrite bead. Ever notice those little plastic cases on the end of USB cables and such? Inside it's a "choke" that acts like a low pass filter. The signal wires are actually wrapped around/through the bead. High frequency EMI is either absorbed by the bead (inductive properties) or bounces back. You can buy little ones that are kinda donut or cylinder shaped. They may call them ferrite rings in the store. You wrap your signal line around it a few times. It also helps to use a twisted pair for the lines. My magnetic pick up coil wiring is like that for my cruise control.

I've used ones like this before (smaller of course). You open it and loop the cable around half and then close it.
http://www.amazon.com/Gino-UF90B-Clip-Ferrite-Diameter/dp/B007Q94CJS

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Got it. I'll give that a shot too. I assume there will be enough extra wire to wrap a few times.

Matt

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I believe the wires from the sender should be a twisted pair. If a person just runs two wires untwisted, it may allow for more interference to get into either wire. You may also have to run the pair of wires through a shielded wrap.

On the three systems I've put in I've attached the sender to the end of the original speedometer cable behind the dash. Doing it this way keeps the wiring short and keeps the sender out of the weather.

I know that not every electronic assembly can ever be 100% and last forever but I have a set of Dakota Digital gauges I put in back in the early 1990's and have worked fine with zero problems. Maybe the older stuff was made better or it was installed better but I like the ones I have.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode