Runs great until - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Well guys here it is, 307 out of a 72 camaro placed into a 67 when and where I couldn't tell ya anyway had the car now 15 months pulled engine out placed on a stand complete, and redone the subframe. Now, it starts great I can sit their and throttle it all day, as soon as I try to take it down the road it floods itself, no exceleration and then kills, timing is at 14* BTC, HEI igniton, edlebrock carb. vacum advance is connected. tried adjusting the carb. three ways from sunday no help, even bought a cheap quadrajet no help made it worse all it would do is start up the kill with a big backfire, so I put the edlebrock back on. Need help!!! almost ready to give up.

Russ
(850)769-8095 panama city Fl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Russ, check your fuel pressure and possibly your fuel lines also. Lines may have gooten crimped or pinched . You don't need as much gas to rev as you do when the engine is under load..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech

Your not still running the points distributors resistance power wire to power the HEI are you? Make sure you have a full 12 volt power supply at the HEI...if this is the problem no amount of tuning will ever make the car run right.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 31st, 01, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

fuel line new , tank, pump. doubled checked no crimps. but this 12volt thing to the hei worries me when I put the engine back in I knew I had to get fire to the hei so I ran a wire from the fuse box to the hei, sounds like maybe it should be straight from the battery for the 12volts

Russ
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 31st, 01, 08:15 PM

On the back of your distributor under the rotor their is a half moon deal it controls your spark at low and high speed. Have it checked at your local auto store . See I had the samething happed to my truck (77 chevy 4x4) it would fire up and run with me reving it but when I hit the road as the rpms went up the truck just spit and sputer and died with a back fire. After spending about 300 dollers it was a 7 dollar part. Check to see if it has a grease substance between it and the distibutor. Because it is supose to. Good luck
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 01, 11:29 AM
Leo

I think your problem is fuel. If you remove your fuel line at the carb and install a rubber fuel line so you can collect all the fuel coming out of the fuel pump, it should pump a pint in about 30 seconds.just rember that loose fuel can burn so be safe. If your not getting enough fuel output install a seperate fuel line on the pump intake and put it in a fuel can. The engine will idle for a minute or so and you can usally complete these test. Good luck,Leo

------------------
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 12:44 PM

I believe Chuck is onto something here. This sound to me like an ignition issue. I have seen rotors cause this symptom. I have also seen pick up coils on the primary side of the ignition cause this. I have also seen problems with the center post on the distributor do this. Go over your ignition carefully, including your advances. Ray
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 12:46 PM

Sorry, Rusty, I said Chuck whan I meant you. Many ignition problems appear to be fuel related, and they will eat your lunch. Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode