Convertible Top not working quite right? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 03, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I have a 67 convertible that I just purchased and it has a power top. However, during operation of the power top it will stop 3-4 times on the way down and on the way back up. If you let it sit for a few seconds or a minute it will work again. Is this normal, or is there a problem that I can fix easily or what? Is it low on fluid, or is the pump motor going out? I have a couple of Camaro coupes, but this is my first ragtop. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks, Tony

67 Convertible, 71 Drag Racer, 68 BB Camaro, 67 RS/SS Coupe, 69 Chevelle SS396.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 03, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Hello HotRod and welcome to the best site on the web for Camaro owners!

This is definately not normal. When the top stops do you still hear the pump motor running?

Donald
68 Camaro convertible (resto on hold)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 03, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

No, I can't really hear it. I just let my finger off the switch and just wait a few seconds and try it again. I can tell you that the in-line fuse is not there right now on the firewall. The original one was burnt out and the guy I bought the car from never replaced it. I have one now, but have not installed it yet. Would that make a difference? Could it just be that the fluid is low or something like that? This car is all original and I don't think that the motor or the lifts have ever been serviced on this car. The top covering was replaced in 2000, but I think that's all that's ever been done to this car. I really appreciate any help and advice you can give me on this.

Thanks, Tony

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 03, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I would take and hook up an DC ammeter and check the amount of current draw of the pump.

The reason he may have taken the fuse out is because of the motor heating up so much, it blew the fuse(s). Motor may need to be repaired/replaced. Most any elec motor repair shop can do it. I guess one might have a time removing the reservior from the motor......could hit the salvage yards for a GM replacement.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 03, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Everett,
Thanks for the advise. I'll check into that possiblity. The guy said that he blew the fuse because one of the top hooks has a broken spring and it was caught one time when he went to put the top down and it blew the fuse. Does that make sense? Like I said I don't know, this is my first ragtop and I'm looking for all the help I can get with it. I have all the original paper work with the car, i.e. owners manuals, protecto plate and book, and top operating manual, but non of them have any info. on trouble shooting this problem.

Thanks, Tony

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 03, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Usually when a top quits moving from a normal start, listen to the pump noise, top is prevented from moving, the pump will just slow down and stop. Not just quit, as in turning it off.

Now, if the top was caught on something, and the pump kept pumping, it may kept on pumping, but, with increased load, meaning drawing more current, thus a blown fuse do to the heat of current generated by the pump.

I would search the yards for a 25-30 amp circuit breaker and use it instead of a fuse to troubleshoot. I know '83-'87 Renault had these in their headlamp circuit. Makes a great tool.

A suggestion, in wintertime, even if the car is indoors, put the top up, disconnect the cylinder rod from the top mechanism, then select TOP DOWN to bury the rods inside the cylinders to protect them from rusting. I know the cylinders are becoming expensive to buy/overhaul.

Sounds like you got a good car.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 03, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Everett,

That's some great advice on the winter storage! I would never have known to do that. I'll remember to that before I put her in storage this year.

I'll see what I can figure out in the meantime on the top situation. I just thought I would ask the question before just tearing into it and not having a clue! I'll see what I can come up with and post my results. If I have anymore questions I'll post those too.

This is a great site and I really appreciate all the good advice!

Thanks, Tony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode