HEI Distributor weights - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

First time posting on this site, but I always check here for info. You guys really know your stuff. Here's my probem: car is idling like crap. Changed plugs, cap and rotor. I still think it may be an ignition problem because suddenly my timing light is pulsing erratically (never had this happen before). Tearing into the distributor right now and have 3 maybe obvious questions but I'm not very experienced with distributors.
First, should the rotor be able to spin at all? It is tight in the cranking direction but I can spin it maybe an 1/8th of a turn the other way and lift it up about an 1/8th of an inch. It snaps right back when I let it go.
Second, when I spin the advance weights, the spring on one of them snaps it back into position right away but the other one gets stuck. Is this what is meant by the weights sticking or would sticking weights not move at all?
Lastly, how do I check if the vacuum advance canister is working? I thought that I could move the tab that it is attached to and stick my finger over the end to see if it stays.
Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 20th, 02, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech

Street first off Welcome! What you are experiencing with your dist "spin" is normal.
That is how the centrifigual advance works. When you inspect it be sure to look at where the shaft is "staked over" at the plate where the pins stick out there should be no movement there. You will need a vac pump to see if your vac advance diaphragm is good or not. The finger idea wont work. Lastly it is normat for a dist to have some up and down movement. Yours doesn't sound unreasonable.
I get the feeling that you will need to look deeper for your problem. You will also need to provide more delailed info on your combo.

------------------
67 prostreet BB Camaro
71 BB SS Chevelle (clone)
2002 35th anniv SS Z28 conv.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 06:02 AM

Had a similar issue and found bad coil or bad coil connection inside top of cap. Center piece from coil passes through top of cap has spring that makes contact to center post that make contact with rotor. Check to see if all is clean and intact.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 02, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
A new contact spring came with my new cap and rotor so I don't think it's that. My one advance weight was really sticking so I WD40'd it but it didn't solve the problem. Think I will try a new coil next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode