Holley Carb.(4053) Problem?? - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 02, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dave

Hi everyone!! This is my first post, although I've been a daily visitor to this "GREAT" forum since I registered approx. 1 year ago.Anyway, I believe I have a "carb" problem and need some advice/tech. help. I purchased my car in June of 2001, and have driven it approx. 800 miles. since then. It is a 68' Z28 with orig. "302-MO" motor rebuilt approx 2500 miles ago to stock specs. It has always started and run well (although on the "rich" side)up until July 3. I tied starting it that day (95+ degrees out),and apparently flooded it. Removed all plugs (AC44S) and found them all black and wet.Cleaned,dried and reinstalled.Choke appears to operate OK. Engine is hard to start and will no longer idle. Also, noticed that secondarys are soaked w/gas, and some fuel had dripped on manifold from secondary shafts. The carb. is a 4053A dual feed, and was rebuilt some time(?) ago. "IF" it is a float problem, I have no idea how to adjust. Thanks in advance!! DAVE

------------------
Dave T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 02, 02:45 AM
Senior Tech
John

Sounds like dirt on the needle and seat, causing the secondary fuel bowl to overflow into the throttle bores. Fairly common problem with a Holley carb. Take a screwdriver handle and rap on the top of the valve (the large head screw with a nut under it on top of the fuel bowl) a few times. Sometimes this will dislodge whatever is in the valve.
If that doesn't work, you'll need to remove the valve and blow it out. To do this, place a 5/8" wrench on the nut and hold it stationary. Then remove the large screw. Pull the nut off and note the height of the brass valve body above the fuel bowl. Reinstall the nut and turn counter-clockwise to remove the valve. After cleaning the valve, reinstall it to the same height that it was. Put the nut on, hold it with the wrench, and reinstall the screw and tighten it (don't forget the gaskets between the bowl and nut, and nut and screw). Start the car, and remove the sight plug from the side of the bowl. The fuel level should be at the bottom of the sighy plug hole. To adjust up or down, loosen the screw (engine off) and turn the adjusting nut clockwise to lower the fuel level, or counterclockwise to raise it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 02, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dave

Many Thanks to "Kyvox" for carb(Holley) info!!
Removal/cleaning/re-installation of Sec. float-valve seat assy. resolved problem.
***Note (oops!!)- I actually caused problem by eliminating inline fuel filter(for correct appearance), and not realizing that "stone" fuel filters at pri/sec. inlets were missing!!

------------------
Dave T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode