lens cover actuation - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Question

New guy, old question. Shopping a '68 RS SS. Issue is lens covers will not accuate. Are they vacuum driven and if so can a new system be found? Novice here, all advice in regards to year and model are appreaciated. The price of these babes shows a recently increased audiance, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 06:36 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
68&69 RS's are vacuum actuated and 67s have electric motors. most 68&69 RS parts are interchangeable except the doors and the 69's have a light washer system. the most likely cause of the doors not working on a 68 is a vacuum leak. when i got mine the doors didnt work either. i was able to just cut about a half inch off the end of all the vacuum hoses as they were all dry rotted and split at the ends. RS parts are readily available from most all restoration parts companies.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech

Red face

I think the Vacuum lights were the best bet. I have a 67 RS with the electric motors, although they work, they still suck. and the motors are so expensive... only 1 of mine works correctly now. opens / closes, the other said no way. heheheheh

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 02:21 PM
Tech Team

Yeah, These actuators can be a real pain. Yeah the irst thing I would do is trim an inch off the lines where they connect and check all the lines for leaks. Also, when you either turn em on or off, you sould have a good strong vacuum signal at the actuators. If you don't, It's just like wiring and trace it back to the source. Actuators should have a good bit of resistance when you move the doors back and forth by hand. If they don't, there probably blown. My doors work this week. Ya go to a cruise in and you will always have something to talk about with the "hideaway headlight" guys. It's a good thing rs's look good Have a good one-Dan in WV
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

One way to check to see if the actuators are OK is to remove both lines on the actuator, plug one line connection (use your finger), and gently try and move the actuator arm. If the arm moves, the diaphram is shot. It is best to do this on the bench. While you have the actuator out, check to see if the hinge assembly is in proper working order. Ditto on the above postings about the hoses. Also check to see if there is a line filter in the vacuum line from the manifold to the vacuum reservior that may be clogged.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 07:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You can test the actuators by connecting them to the manifold with a "jumper wire" (peice of hose) if they're good, they'll open. If you car has a lot of cam, you might not get enough vacuam to work the system. All the info you need to diagnose and fix this stuff is out there, but it's still a pain. Went through it on a '69 vette once, got everything to work eventually, except the wiper door always opened by itself when you floored it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode