Stalls when cold, will not stay running..... - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 01, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Hello,
I have an 86 Camero Z28 with a 305 TPI engine. The problem im having is that when i first start it up it stalls and will not stay running, even when i hit the gas it just dies. Until the engine heats up i cant stop it from stalling. Also in drive at an idle, it tries to die, i have to slide it into nuetrel and rev the engine at a stop light to keep it from dying. And on take off, when i hit it, it hesitates and stumbles, but when i get passed take off it runs fine. Fresh tune up, AC-Delco rapidfire plugs, 8mm wires, high performace coil, cap and rotor, fastchip, new alt, changed oil and filter, the only thing i havent done yet is replace the fuel filter. But i know thats not why im having problems starting it cold. I have some books, chilton and hayes, and the only thing like a choke i can find in there is a Cold Start Valve, does this need to be replaced maybe? also i get no codes when i short A & B. Please help this is very frustrating.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 01, 08:12 PM
David Pozzi

I'm by no means an expert on this, but here goes.
Maybe a bad temp sender?
Why don't you think it's a fuel filter?
These systems used a cold start injector on the left side middle of the injection, there might be a problem there.
Try unplugging your EGR valve vac hose and see if that helps. The EGR can get carboned up inside, and cause problems opening up too soon. The egr usually causes problems when the engine is warmed up not cold as it's temp controlled to come on when warmed up, so I don't think that's as likely to be it.
Might be a bad throttle postition sensor. I think the tps has a lot to do with mixture when cold as the engine is running on a map.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

the TPS is brand new, i just replaced it. Where is the Temp Sender? I dont think ive heard of that. And I'll try the EGR thing but i doubt thats it. It runs fine when its hot. thanks for the help

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
John

I don't know about the TPI, but with my carb, I had to get the stupid electric choke just right or it would act in the manner that you are describing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 01, 02:30 PM

having worked for a chevy dealer in the north east i've seen alot of cold start injectors go bad. i would definitely check the engine coolant temp sensor,as cheap as they are it might be a good idea to just replace it.it's in the itake and has two wires going to it they should be yellow and black i believe.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 01, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

I've replaced the idle air control valve, hoping that was the problem and will replace the fuel filter today, i went to discount auto and they dont carry the cold start valve. how would i get one? from the dealer?
and i need some more help with the Temp sensor, the two books i have Chilton and Hayes, are very brief about it and dont really tell you where it is, just how to replace it. Anyone have a Picture? I'll keep tring thanks for all the help.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 01, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

ok ive replaced the fuel filter, no big change, and it has started doing other things....none of which has anything to do with the fuel filter, it started before i changed it. Every so often, when i stop for a red light (i do that every so often...lol) the battery gauge will drop sudenly the check engine light will flash for a split second and the car will just die. And it doesnt "try" to die, it just shuts off. Also sometime the engine will rev itself around 2000 to 2500 rpm on its on while in park, it did it today actually after i had driven it for a while. I dont know what is causeing this either.......can anyone help with these problems??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 01:24 AM

I have an 86 Camaro. If it is nice outside and I have been driving for awhile my car starts to stall when I go to stop. It backfires through the breather. But if it is cold outside my car does not do this. I have replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, and cap. I think it may be the Emission Canister or purge valve. I am going to replace them today and if this works I will keep you guys posted.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 04:25 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nyc0n:
ok ive replaced the fuel filter, no big change, and it has started doing other things....none of which has anything to do with the fuel filter, it started before i changed it. Every so often, when i stop for a red light (i do that every so often...lol) the battery gauge will drop sudenly the check engine light will flash for a split second and the car will just die. And it doesnt "try" to die, it just shuts off. Also sometime the engine will rev itself around 2000 to 2500 rpm on its on while in park, it did it today actually after i had driven it for a while. I dont know what is causeing this either.......can anyone help with these problems??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you need to seek professional help!! --all kidding aside, you probably need to have a scan tool plugged into that thing to "capture" what is happening. Sounds like you have multiple problems and they can be impossible to trace without a scan tool. The only thing that comes to mind is possibly the MAP sensor --make sure it has vacuum at idle. Then with the engine running just tap it lightly then try squeezing it. If the idle reacts to these tests -replace it. This is just a simple guess. Without some diagnostics it is just that --a guess. Maybe you need an EXORCIST!!!--j/k

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 04:32 AM
Tech Team
Dave

There are a few things that you need to check. First you should hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure. I t should be 35-40 p.s.i. If that checks out fine, you can check the mass air flow sensor. It is located in between the air filter housing and the air inlet tube going to the throttle body. An easy way to test it is to take a screwdriver and tap on it (light tap will be fine, do not hit hard enough to crack it). Another thing to check is the ecm. It is located under the passenger side kick panel. Leaving it plugged in lower it down to gain access. Using an open hand you can tap on it with your palm. It in any way the engine stumbles or dies it is bad. I have seen many go bad and due to the changes in temperature the circuit board can crack or expand.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 02, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech

whats a camEro?

------------------
Chris's 67 RS/SS,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode