help me please !!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I have a 93' pontiac grand am gt 3.3L V6

my problem is that ill drive for a good five min around 5 miles. then i come to a stop light and the damn thing clutters and shkes spits and spudders then dies.....the car will restart but when i put it back in drive or reverse it dies and will not go ?

I replaced the fuel filter and im clueless the problem is in about ten hours this car has to drive me 1900 miles !!!!!

some say that it is the fuel pump but it doesnt make any noise or when it is idling it regulates...also when i put the car in park the idle fluckuates for a few sec's then regulates??????

Guys im desprite to find an answer please help me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 04:44 AM

Wink

had a similiar problem with my Grand Am, it turned out to be the torque converter clutch solinoid.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/d_depaolo/
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 04:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

You need to get it to a shop and have them hook a scan tool to it and see what's wrong. It can get expensive just replacing parts. That's the advantage of the computer's; they'll tell you what's wrong (as long as you have the correct tools to read them.

If I had to guess, I'd say change the O2 sensor. Since it runs fine cold and the O2 only is used once it gets up to temp (doesn't use it when cold), it makes sense. If the O2 sensor is bad it affects warm driving only, both idling and cruising (would be worse idling probably).

Jody

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
It does sound like the torque converter lockup solenoid has siezed.

If you are standing at the front of the car...you will see a harness that plugs into the front of the tranny housing. It is a squarish type plug with 4 connectors. If you can get the solenoid to release...unplugging this harness will keep the converter lockup from re-locking.

Steve
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

May be the EGR sticking open. Is the "check engine" light comming on? If it is you will have at least one code in the computer. Have someone check for codes.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 01, 04:42 AM
Senior Tech

I would definately check out that torque convertor lockup switch...a co-worker just bought a well used chevy cavalier and when he was doing a tune up on it, he found the harness unplugged from the trans...he plugged it back in and started having the same problems you describe (drove normally before the harness was plugged in). If unplugging it fixes the driveabilty problems, then get it replaced, otherwise you risk burning up the trans due to excessive high gear torque convertor slippage.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 04:15 PM

the tcc problem that the trans has will only
be if your car is a 3 speed(125c). 4 speeds
operate a bit different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode