Service Engine Soon light on, no code - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Wink

A friend of mine, '94 camaro owner, has a problem with the "check engine" light coming on, but the computer won't set a code. I have a '94 beretta, same engine v-6, 3.1 doing the exact same thing. The light comes on and stays on when I decelerate, yet does not affect engine performance. Wanted to know if any camaro fans had heard of or had problems with this. Be glad to hear from you if you have any ideas!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

If the light comes on there should be a code....how did you check it?
Also you should try to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery or pulling the ECU fuse and see if any codes pops up again
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 01, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech

All vehicles from 1996 model year on are all on board two (obd2). "some" models were already getting ready for this as early as 1994.Everyone is used to shorting A to B in the data connector to flash out codes on on board 1 vehicles.This is no longer possible on obd2 vehicles.You absolutely need a scanner to read codes.I don't know if your vehicles fall into that early change over or not but maybe thats why your not getting any response.Check your emmission sticker under the hood and see if it says obd2.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sixt9d:
If the light comes on there should be a code....how did you check it?
Also you should try to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery or pulling the ECU fuse and see if any codes pops up again
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Trust me. I have done EVERYTHING possible. It's been checked with two different computers, unhooked battery cables, and still the light comes on but no codes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 01, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech

You e-mailed me and I deleted it accidently sorry.I think you said some mechanic looked at it but could'nt figure it out and that it had a different connector for the scanner.Did you look at your emission sticker like I said and see if it says "obd11 certified"?You also state that the light only comes on when your de-celerating?Does it go out then when you accelerate or once it comes on it stays on?Your friends Camaro does the exact same thing?Did this mechanic hook a scanner up to it?He should have been able to 'record'a movie of this on his scanner when this problem occurs and see what parameters are out of whack unless he has a 'cheap' scanner that won't do this.look at the emission sticker and let me know what it says before I go any further with this.I need to know if it's obd1 or obd11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode