starter hangs engaged - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Angry

I have 68 camaro with 454 motor[early 70s].When it has not been started for a day or 2,the starter engages and will not disengage!I have put new starter solenoid on but it still happens! After the car starts, it works fine. Could the ignition switch be hanging? Any help would be a huge help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 08:51 AM

Unhappy

CVH,
I'm experiencing the same problem. Starter keeps cranking even when the key is removed. I've replaced the solenoid and some brittle wires leading to it, and the starter switch but it still happens. It disengages fine when the engine starts.

I'm thinking its a short, fried inline relay or improper grounding in the wire harness from the horn relay through the firewall to the starter switch. Also could be a bad horn relay. Anyone else have this problem?

Robert.

------------------
68 Base Coupe, 327/210hp with TH400
99 Silverado
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech

probaly the ignition switch going bad and/or out of adjustment.or maybe you have some funky wiring problem. or the car is possessed..

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 02, 07:28 PM
XK1
Senior Tech

I had a car that did this with a new starter. Another starter solved the problem. The contacts in the solenoid were sticking.

------------------
76 Camaro/mild 350 .030/M21/Z28 body parts/lotsa other goodies
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 12:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Lightbulb

Some times the starter get stuck against the flywheel cause it's in need of shims. Some resto catalogs sell them.
Good luck...

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 02, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech

Put car on jack stands parking brake on 9/16 socket an extension, crawl under, have someone start engine if stays engaged loosen bolts that hold starter, if disengages try putting in some shims.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 02, 08:08 AM

ORENCH and Clash69,
The problem posted describes an electrical problem, not mechanical as in needing shims. Are you suggesting that an improperly shimmed starter could cause a starter to continue cranking even after the key is turned off and removed?

Just asking, no flames here.
Robert.

------------------
99 Silverado
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 02, 08:43 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Not my reply, but yeah, it could. If the starter gear and flywheel mesh too hard, it might stick. Metal expands when it's cold (right?), as he said it is fine after the car warms up. It would seem me that it's possible that various parts contract enough after it warms up to make everything give a little. In my experience though, if the starter is not shimmed properly, it can sound really harsh while it's cranking.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 02, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Talking

Not to be a wise a$$ but metal expands when hot and contracs when cold
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 02, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech

I had a jeep once, that was acting real wierd. Even with the key removed, the starter stayed engaged, the problem was fixed with a full battery charge??

any idea why??
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 02, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Mr.C-
I knew it was one way or the other. No offense taken, just trying to throw out some ideas, so somebody doesn't throw all sorts of money at something that could be possibly fixed with some $2 shims.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 02, 11:12 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Talking

Spame I understand and agree 100%
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 02, 03:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Wink

Sorry "Lownf4me" but I was answering to CVH-SS/RS situation where he didn't mentioned the removed key.
CVH-SS/RS
posted 01-04-2002 10:53 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have 68 camaro with 454 motor[early 70s].When it has not been started for a day or 2,the starter engages and will not disengage!I have put new starter solenoid on but it still happens! After the car starts, it works fine. Could the ignition switch be hanging? Any help would be a huge help!!
Just trying to help a little...

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 01-09-2002).]
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 02, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Thanks for all the help. The starter does keep cranking even when the key is removed.The previous owner wired the tach lite to the ignition wire{hot from switch} so the lite would be on whenever the car is on. Could this be part of the problem? This is also why i think the ignition switch is working because when I turn off the key, the tach lite goes out but the starter keeps cranking.The starter only hangs the first time and of course the car doesnt start until it finally disengages and I try again.Then the car starts and works fine the rest of the day???????
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 07:07 AM

CVH,
Well I've diagnosed my starter problem. I replaced the fried horn relay but the problem persisted. So I removed the starter and hooked the wires up to it outside the car. It operates fine, so the problem must be improper shimming.

I took the back plate off the starter to inspect the brushes - man I'm surprised that thing even turned with all the oil and crap that was inside. So I'm swapping out the starter too.

So if you're still having a starter run-on problem and have ruled out electrical problems like I have, it's got to be a shimming problem.

Hope this helps,
Robert.

------------------
99 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode