rough idle and stalling - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Question

my 86 iroc-z with 305 tpi will start but stalls quickly. If I give it gas it will run but rough at lower rpm but smooths out at higher rpm. It is not drivable, stalls when put in gear. Have checked mostly everything and no codes on comp. When I spray carb cleaner into the T.B. it runs fine for a few secs. I Have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and pressure is good. New holley fuel reg installed. timing is good with new plugs and wires. All new intake gaskets. checked all vacuum lines too. New cap and and rotor on dist. New O2 sensor. I am out of anymore ideas.

[This message has been edited by thumper7999 (edited 11-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by thumper7999 (edited 11-05-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech

Thumper,

I know you said you have checked for vacuum leaks, but there are some lines under the plenum also.

Since you have installed a new dist cap be sure it's not cross wired.

Since it does run with carb cleaner though, if you got some bad or watered down fuel, you may need to get the kit (3M) that has the hose that connects to the fuel press barb on your fuel rail, and clean your injectors.

Larry
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech

A sticky EGR valve can do the same thing. The valve is closed at an idle and won't open until rpms increase.
Try a visual check first and if all looks good, then try hooking up a vacuum pump and check if the operation is correct.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the options

www.geocities.com/akfourme/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Thanks guys. I have looked at the egr and moved it manually with little effort. I also tried blocking it off. I do know there is water in my fuel but how much in the tank I don't know. I will try that 3M injector cleaner if I can find it in hawaii. Sometimes it picks up RPM by itself but at the low end. And when I give it gas and it gets going it backfires. Please keep the ideas coming. It is greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by thumper7999 (edited 11-06-2000).]

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech

This sounds strange.
First I would get all the water and moisture out of your gas tank. This would not cause backfires though. Try turning your distributer clockwise an inch or two. A dist to advanced would cause a car to backfire.
good luck
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I have tried advancing and retarding the dist but seems best at the correct timing. After i set the correct timing it ran normal for a few minutes but then went back to having problems.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 00, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Hmmm
How is your carb? Is it original?
If the carb is over 5years old it may be heat warped. Since it seems to run after a cleaning this could be the demon. I would open the carb up and take a look see. If you replace it don't go too big. stick with stock 4bbl.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 00, 05:19 PM
Tech Team

Red face

if it runs right for a wile after timing it, it may be beacuse the esc {electroinic spark contro). im not sure how to check it. you may try the computer again i think it is a code 42 and 43. you may also have a loose distributor hold down.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 00, 07:22 AM
Tech Team

sounds like a problem i had with my 68. one day it would run fine, next day it would severely stumble. when you flogged it, it would lose the stumble and then it would come back. i tried everything then someone suggested i check the fuel sending unit. i did and the filter was rotted off. ive had it out 5 times since with no problems (knock on wood). just a thought if everthing else fails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode