Release Bearing Squeal - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

After driving my 69 Z28 about 70 miles at highway speed about 65 mph, the clutch release bearing will squeal when the clutch is pressed. It will stop when released. I put a new one in and it worked fine, until another short road trip. Now its doing it again. I am running a stock 302 engine, and 3.73 gear. Any ideas on the cause or better yet a cure. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Is the clutch fork worn?

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 02, 06:30 PM
David Pozzi

Did you lube the clutch fork pivot ball?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 02:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I just did a complete drivetrain upgrade and noticed my clutch fork was twisted, putting a rotational torque on the bearing when I put the clutch in. Assuming you're buying a quality throwout bearing, I would suspect a misalignment elsewhere. There aren't too many candidates - fork, pivot ball., z bar. Make sure the 'ears' on the fork are inside the bearing collar.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 02:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Are you sure it's the release bearing?? If it's a squealing noise it sounds more likely that it's the pilot bushing to me. I've seen a lot of Camaro's with squealing pilot bushing that come and go.

just my $.02
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. After replacing the first bearing I put about 200 miles on it locally. I figured the problem was solved. Both times it started after driving at high RPM. Maybe squealing isnt the right discription, it almost sounds like a ginding but only when the clutch is pressed,it even does it with the trans. out of gear, it stops after releasing the clutch about two inches. Will start working on it again soon,and will be sure to check all of the above. Thanks

------------------
69 Z-28
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech

My 302/M-21/3.73 car made a similar squealing noise after sitting for a couple of months. It occurred intermittently during the first few miles of driving and went away after fully warmed up. I could stop the squealing by taking the car out of gear and releasing the clutch. It happened on 3 separate occasions in a row, but hasn't happened since.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Is your bearing adjusted correctly?

Adjust your release bearing so that when you are not on the clutch pedal the bearing is making no contact with the pressure plate fingers. A 1/8 gap or less is all that is required.

If adjusted this way, and ASSUMING your bearing is installed correctly and the fork is not bent, the bearing will not wear out prematurely. A release bearing that is constantly spinning on the clutch fingers will wear out very quickly.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech

i had a similar problem in an old blazer i had. come to find out, the pressure plate was bad and not fully moving away from the linings of the clutch plate. when i dropped everything, i saw the bent fingers on it and immediately knew. another thing just off of the wall, check for a bad rear seal. if oil gets on that clutch plate, you will hear every scrape when the pressure plate lets go and presses against the clutch
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 02, 07:41 PM
David Pozzi

Check your clutch pedal, if there are two holes for the pushrod, connect to the upper one.
I'm wondering if your clutch fork is travelling to far, maybe the fork is scraping the pressure plate?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 02:53 AM
Senior Tech

I had all kinds of problems changing over to a standard trans on my 68, Could not get enough clutch pedal, landed up putting in a taller pivot ball, after this install the clutch works good, however when I press the pedal all the way to the floor, I get a growling grinding noise, and it is the fork depressed too far the fingers of the pressure plate are hitting the the clutch friction plate.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 09:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

It's also very important to have the correct fork. I too had that problem until I replaced everything. One thing I noticed was that the fork I put in ( based on a post by CarlC with the correct part number ) was about 1" shorter with a bit more bend than what was on my car. It eliminated hitting the firewall ( which probably put the twist in mine ) and gave perfect engaement.

------------------
Rick Dorion
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Again, Thanks for all the good advice. Does anyone know the correct part number for the yolk? This time I will replace as many parts as I can. Thanks.

------------------
69 Z-28
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 02:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The GM part number is 3892632.

------------------
Rick Dorion
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

RickD, Thanks for the part number. I will get to work on this soon. Also getting up the parts to add power steering, so will be busy for awhile. Thanks to everyone for their input.

------------------
69 Z-28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode