wheretiming - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Question

i have a 427 60 over 13-1compression crank cut 20 and 20 with a windage tray, merlin rectangle port heads 219 188 valves, 119cc combustion chambers, weinand team g intake 750 holley double pumper mechanical secondaries, headers, underdrive pulleys, eldebrock geardrive retarded 4 degrees, msd 6a ignition, msd blaster 3 coil, mallory unilite distributor vacuum advance, 11mm wires non resistor plugs, 400 shot of nitrous and a jacobson mastermind computer, i dont know where to set the timing without even using the nitrous, it has a muncy 4spd and 456 gears and it is my street car so it has to start everytime. please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

i almost forgot the most important part the cam is a crane with 264 269 [email protected] and a 560 580 inch lift with a 114 lobe separation
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 01, 05:10 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Did you just build this or have it built? I wouldn't know where to begin with a mill like this on the street. Sounds like a bit much for a daily driver. What will you be putting in the tank? I'd say seek the builders advice...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 01, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I agree with DJD, a bit much for the street, but a serious grocery-getter!

Definitely ask the builder on what timing to run.

If I had to guess, I'd start at 8 deg BTDC and tune for total timing of say 26-30, compression going to kill ya, however, l/s will help some to bleed off pressure.

If one has a problem starting hot, a friend of mine rigged up a push-button switch cutting out (opening) ign until starter had the engine spinning fast enough, then let go of switch, started right up. Worked every time.

I'd like to see the radiator for this bad boy, this car IS going to generate some heat.

I hope you didn't forget the roller lifters, rockers, and rev-kit.

Let us know how it runs after break-in? Yeah,right.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 01, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

number one, i run straight airplane fuel ererytime it needs to be filled, the cam is a solid lifter cam with roller rockers, next it has a milodon high volume water pump, flexfan, electricfan and a three core racing radiator never goes over 230 which is pretty good. I have the engine broken in, the timing was set by an old hippie that messed with race cars and the car ran great but i plucked it out of my ss and put it in a malibu took out the distributor so it wouldnt get smashed and cant find the hippie anymore. cranking isnt a problem i have a 15-1 compression starter. and i built the engine just had someone machine everything.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 01, 04:16 PM
Team Member
John

Gee, neat street setup - here's mine, when I had it out for detailing last week - I built it, but didn't do the machine work:

...and I know how to set the timing - maybe you should place an ad for an old hippie

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 01, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Cool

Now THAT'S an engine!

What does that power?

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 01, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech

Seems to me someone was smoking while surfing.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 01, 12:20 PM
Team Member
John

Wink

Isn't it amazing what some people want you to believe? If you had a .020"/.020" crank would you advertise it? Maybe he thinks it's like a "30-30" cam

Engine in the pic is a new Mercedes-MTU 12,500hp twin-turbo V-20 diesel with 16,500 ft-lbs. of torque; 18 feet long, made for locomotives and ships. How'd ya like to shine 20 valve covers every week?

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 01, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnZ:
Gee, neat street setup - here's mine, when I had it out for detailing last week - I built it, but didn't do the machine work:

...and I know how to set the timing - maybe you should place an ad for an old hippie

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well then if your so smart YEAH RIGHT answer the question where should it be set i know for every 100 shot of nitrous retard 4 degrees and a starting point for a 427 is 8 btdc but i dont know how much to retard for compression.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 01, 09:55 AM
Team Member
John

With .060"-over, 13:1 compression, a 20-20 crank, and a 400 nitrous shot, I'd stand well back out of the way of the flying rods and counterweights!

Seems to me that with that kind of setup you'd use a timing retard box that only backed out the timing when the solenoids opened up (hopefully in stages); if you back it out of initial, it'll be a retarded slug during the 99.9% of the time it's just on the motor.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 01, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

i do have a jocobs nitrous mastermind computer to control the nitrous retard.. and if you use nitrous the right way your rods wont go anywhere duh!!!! anyone knows to safely use nos you need good high octane fuel, the right amount of retard and special set of pistons and rods with a studded bottom end.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 01, 11:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

The rods, crank, block, etc still have to handle that much horsepower and what other people are trying to point out is that you have several weak links in that engine which will probably fail as soon as you start using the nitrous. In addition, if the car hooks at all you'll break that Muncie.

I ran 20 degrees initial and 38 total in a 13-1 468 with 100 octane unleaded. Felt lazy with less timing.

Jody
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 01, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

o well it will only be the forth muncy that i crushed behind the engine, the engine builder took care of the crank, rods, and pistons to handle the nos
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 01, 02:33 PM
Team Member
John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by websurfingbitch:
i built the engine just had someone machine everything. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"the engine builder took care of the crank, rods, and pistons to handle the nos"

This is like a quiz show - for one million piston rings, who built this street engine:

a. An engine builder
b. websurfingbitch
c. An old hippie
d. The Tooth Fairy

Your "Lifeline" is anyone in the audience who knows how to set the timing on a 900-hp street engine (or who can find the old hippie racer with the secret formula).

Amazing

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode