Starter problem - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

Hello all,

I know this is a camaro site but a friend of mine could use your guys help. His car is a 94 grad prix with a 3.1. Heres the problem when he goes to start the car the starter makes a clicking sound after a few tries it will normally start. He has changed the starter a couple of times and it works ok for a week or so. The first couple starters came from autozone and the last is a gm. He has also replaced the positive cable, still does it. We took jumper cables and went from the negetive post to the engine block, Thought it might be a grounding problem but didn't help. We also went from the negetive post to the starter itself and it still did it. He also has had the battery tested at autozone a few times it tests out ok. He replaced the battery with one from another car and it did the same thing. I'm at a loss as what it could be I hope you guys can help.

------------------
Sean James
67 camaro convertible
454 - 700r4
4:10 12 bolt
69 Firebird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 00, 03:56 PM
David Pozzi

If an automatic trans check the neutral safety switch.
Next time it does it, jiggle the shifter while holding the key to start position.
This doesn't allways work, but if it does it definately is the neutral safety switch.
If it doesn't help, it still might be the switch.
It could also be the ign switch, but not likely. I've never seen one fail to start the car.

The neutral safety switch that is attached to the lower portion of the steering column is prone to dirt and fuzz getting into it and grinding up the contacts.
They can make contact, but not well enough to energise the starter.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech

hey I don't know if you already fixed the starter problem but try this.....Check and see if when you replaced the starter you left off the heat shield. Is the car running headers?....if it is and you have a lifetime waranty..(auto-zone) then take the starter to them and have them test it, after they test it and tell you that it is a intermitent problem, or that it is toast, take off the selonoid and look at the grease in side of it if the grease is really thin almosty watery, or if it is still really thick. If it is thin then the problem is a heat problem, if it is still thick then it is a wiring problem that probably has nothing to do with the starter itself.... If it is a heat problem that would explain why the starter takes about a week or so to quit working because that is as long as it takes to break down the grease,anyhow check it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode